Views
Helpful
Replies

GNSS-LED always - bright red - at Cisco Nexus 93180YC-FX3 chassis

r.heitmann
Level 1
Level 1

Nexus 93180YC-FX3 switches contain an "GNSS" LED at their front

* which is not part of the documentation (hardware installation guide for example)

Since "feature frequency-synchronization" has to be licensed (DCN SyncE Add-On License)
* GNSS seems to be not configurable.

Any idea, how to disable this bright red LED, which suggests some alarm-state to be resolved is active?

14 Replies 14

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

I am assuming that you are running NX-OS 10.2(3) on this 93180YC-FX3 switch (if this is not the case, please do let me know what NX-OS version you are running!), as I was able to reproduce a similar issue with the GNSS LED. In prior versions of NX-OS (10.2(2) and below), this LED was not lit when no GPS antenna is attached and SyncE is not configured.

I have filed a new software defect CSCwc06052 to have this behavior corrected in a future NX-OS software release. To the best of my knowledge, there is no workaround for this issue at the moment (wherein this LED can be temporarily disabled such that it no longer appears lit as red).

I have also filed two documentation defects, CSCwc06053 and CSCwc06054. The first will amend the documentation such that these time-related chassis LEDs (SYNC, TIMING, and GNSS) are properly documented in the N9K-C93180YC-FX3 Hardware Installation Guide. The second will amend the documentation to remove or modify a warning in the same document indicating that GPS/GNSS is not supported on this model switch.

Note that since all of these defects were just filed, it will take a few business days for them to become public-facing such that you can see detailed information about them.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

This problem still presents in 10.2(4) (not surprisingly).  We don't have this feature loaded or configured, but saw the red LEDs during other maintenance.

One workaround would be to downgrade to 10.1, though that seems like overkill for a cosmetic bug.

Yep.  I just upgraded to the "safe harbor" 10.2.4 firmware and noticed this GNSS LED blinking red non-stop.  I'm so glad this is their recommended release.  

Hello!

Hi James,

I can confirm that this software defect affects NX-OS software releases 10.2(3), 10.2(4), or 10.2(5). I have updated the public-facing information of the software defect to confirm that these three NX-OS software releases are affected by this defect. These changes to the public-facing information should appear within the next few business days.

Based upon internal details of the software defect, this issue should be resolved starting with NX-OS software release 10.2(6) (which has not yet been released as of the time of this writing).

JAMES WEST
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Is there any other options to remove the RED GNSS light, l have upgraded to 10.2(5) and this is still there? Thanks

Hi James,

There is no workaround at the moment to stop the red GNSS light from being lit when running NX-OS software releases 10.2(3), 10.2(4), or 10.2(5). I have updated the public-facing information of the software defect to confirm that these three NX-OS software releases are affected by this defect. These changes to the public-facing information should appear within the next few business days.

Based upon internal details of the software defect, this issue should be resolved starting with NX-OS software release 10.2(6) (which has not yet been released as of the time of this writing).

Hi,

BugID CSCwc06052  informed that issue is resolved in  release 10.2(6).

We have release NXOS: version 10.3(3) [Feature Release] and the issue still exits.

Hamed Hamedi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I have upgraded to 10.3(3)M and the GNSS led changed from fixed red to blinking yellow and red.
Is there any workaround.?

Mark Potter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

running 10.3(4a), still blinking red/yellow.

CSCwi92703 says no fix, just cosmetic. 2 years like this.

mcnuttj
Level 1
Level 1

Running 10.4.2 here and the lights are still red.  We tried 10.3.4 as well.  Same thing.

Hi James,

Currently, there's no available workaround to turn off the red GNSS light on switches running NX-OS software versions 10.2(3), 10.2(4), or 10.2(5). I've updated the public information about this software defect to reflect that these versions are impacted. You should see these updates on our public platforms within a few business days.

According to internal details about the defect, the issue is expected to be resolved in the upcoming NX-OS software release 10.2(6), which hasn't been released yet.

www-ncedclouds.com

deleted

The GNSS LED on the Nexus 93180YC-FX3 switches, indicating an alert when it's undocumented, can be addressed through a few steps:

1. Review Software Settings: Verify if any GNSS-related settings are inadvertently enabled, even without the necessary licensing.

2. Contact Cisco Support: Seek guidance from Cisco’s technical support or your account manager for updates or documentation that may address the LED issue  deltamath.site.

3. Try Firmware Updates: Update the firmware of the switch to see if it resolves any undocumented behaviors with the LED.

4. Disable via CLI: If possible, access the switch's command-line interface to check for any GNSS-related configurations that can be disabled to potentially turn off the LED.

These steps should help in identifying and potentially resolving the issue with the bright red GNSS LED.

1 - Yeah.  We tried that.

2 - Yeah.  It's a known bug.  Did you even read the comments?

3 - We tried that, too.  Obviously, you didn't read the comments.

4 - There's a theme here.