cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about the communication between vsm and vem

jiangcaixia
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested with the details of communication between vem and vsm. So I have a few questions:

1. Is the vsm configuration command encapsulated with the vlan tag before it is sent to the vswitch of the below host? Or this vlan tag is attached by the vswitch of esx?

2. The same question about vem: Is the packet from vem encapsulated with the vlan tag before it is sent? Are all the packets from vem sent to the vmnic of nexus1kv?

3. Do the packets received by vem and vsm have the vlan tag inside?

4. Does the vem send the connection request to vsm first when the host is added to the nexus1kv?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Caixia

2 Replies 2

jbanerje
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. Is the vsm configuration command encapsulated with the vlan tag before it is sent to the vswitch of the below host? Or this vlan tag is attached by the vswitch of esx?

If the VSM is on Vswitch, then control packets are tagged and sent by the Vswitch

2. The same question about vem: Is the packet from vem encapsulated with the vlan tag before it is sent? Are all the packets from vem sent to the vmnic of nexus1kv?

VEM is the switching module/forwarding plane of N1K. HEnce if the forwarding loockup points to vmnic as the egress port and if the port is in Trunk Mode, then the following will happen:

a) If the frame is to be forwarded in one of the trunk allowed vlans, then when the frames egresses vmnic of VEM, the frame is tagged

b) If the frame to be forwarded is one the trunk allowed vlans and the same vlan is a native vlan, then when the frame egresses the vmnic of VEM, the frame is sent without a tag.

The above behavior is exact as a regular managed switch

3. Do the packets received by vem and vsm have the vlan tag inside?

Tags are stripped off

4. Does the vem send the connection request to vsm first when the host is added to the nexus1kv?

Kindly refer the attachment.

Hopr the above answers help.

Hi jbanerje,

When the VEM makes a "Node_ID Request", what's the SRC-MAC? I don't quite understand what SRC-MAC="Slot-Based" (in the attached slide) means. I thought, the Node_ID request was being made to fetch a slot# (actually, since it's zero based it should be module#) and VEM would then have the following MAC-addrs (the last byte indicating the slot):

VEM Control (AIPC) MAC: 00:02:3d:10:f5:02

VEM Packet (Inband) MAC: 00:02:3d:20:f5:02

VEM Control Agent (DPA) MAC: 00:02:3d:40:f5:02

Also, do you have some document/ppt showing detailed flows of VEM-VSM communication.

Thanks for your time.

~Sharat