Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CER V14 API issues again - Adding users to a group

I have another strange issue with the CER config API in V14. I am able to add and delete users, but I can't add users to a group. This request looks properly formatted to me, and the API returns a 200. It doesn't actually add the user to the group though.

<updateUserGroupRequest><userGroupName>CER Admin Utility</userGroupName><addUsersToGroup><user>a1-e331759d</user></addUsersToGroup></updateUserGroupRequest>

I am using requests.put to do the update.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Doh, stupid content messages! I don't understand why it returned a 200 when it failed, but examining the content provided the answer.

assignRolesToGroup field is absent. You must include that tag even if you aren't changing anything.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Doh, stupid content messages! I don't understand why it returned a 200 when it failed, but examining the content provided the answer.

assignRolesToGroup field is absent. You must include that tag even if you aren't changing anything.

This gets stranger and stranger. I didn't blow up the role assignments because you can't change default groups. I did wipe out the description by not including it in the update request. Apparently, you MUST include all the fields in the update request even if you aren't changing their value. That doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.

Here is another oddity. Group descriptions can clearly have more than 20 characters based on the default groups, but the API doesn't think so.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><updateUserGroupResponse><status>Failure</status><message>Description cannot have more than 20 chars</message></updateUserGroupResponse>