cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connected APs showing up as rouge APs and classified as malicious.

scottsassin
Level 1
Level 1

Our 9800-40 WLC has 342 APs connected. We have a combination of 3702, 3802, and 9120 APs. Some of the connected APs are showing up as malicious rouge APs. 

6 Replies 6

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

Are all the APs on the same WLC? I ask because we have some 8540s and 9800-80s all in the same mobility group and the 9800s see the APs on the 8540s as rogue. I haven't gotten around to opening a case for it.

Yes, all the rouge APs are on the same controller as the detecting AP. 

Hi @scottsassin 

This is probably a bug. A similar bug is already documented

Cisco Bug: CSCvw81531
Rogue: Cisco Catalyst 9120 AP detects its own BSSID as Rogue in 2.4Ghz channel.

This is also happening on the 5Ghz radios. 

Do you now if this has detrimental effects on the wireless environment? Should we reclassify all malicious APs as friendly? 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

There have been a number of bugs for this - even APs detecting their own radios as rogues (where they have dual radios).

So step number 1 - make sure you're on the latest TAC recommended release as per the link below. 

If you still see the problem on latest software then open a TAC case - either they'll point you to an existing bug or open a new one for you. 

What version of software are you using?
Have you checked your config with https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/ using the output of "show tech wireless"?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Also consider https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/214749-tac-recommended-ios-xe-builds-for-wirele.html  , and or plan an upgrade , if applicable , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card