cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to capture packets of mobile phone user ?

suisse
Level 1
Level 1

We are having QoS problems with mobile phone users of Skype (specifically application sharing) over the wireless network.  How do you capture packets from a mobile phone user?

6 Replies 6

Hi

It depends on the Operational system you use. For Windows is a bit more complicated. You need to have an wireless adapter with pcap driver support and use some tools to view the packets captured like Wireshark.

For Linux is a bit easier but again the network adapter must support promiscuous mode.  Then, you can install some tools, again, wireshark can help here as well.

Linux have a distribution for this called Kali which has a lot of tools for this purpose.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Best option you have is an OTAC over the air capture. If you don’t have the wifi nics and such you can turn yiur Cisco AP into a sniffer. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I have a spare AP (3702i) that I can use for that purpose.  Do you have any guides on how to set that up?

Here you go 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/collecting-a-wireless-sniffer-trace-using-the-cisco-lightweight/ta-p/3120458

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

What about iPhone Flavio? How do you get that captured?

ensure the AP that is used for the Packet capture is place close to the device, and  the AP's is set on the channel the devices are tx and RX, the sniffer AP will capture all frames between the devices. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card