Helpful
Replies

WLC Config Converter (AireOS, IOS-XE)

Shankar Ramanathan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

WLC Config Converter (AireOS, IOS-XE)

External Link: https://cway.cisco.com/wlc-config-converter/ 

Goal of this tool is to provide easy config migration between various wireless platforms.One tool can perform following operations:

1. AireOS(2500/3500/5500/7500/8500/WISM2) to Cat 9800 Wireless LAN Controller conversion: For folks looking to migrate from any AireOS platform to the latest Catalyst 9800 series Wireless LAN Controllers. Inputs required: TFTP config backup from AireOS or "show run-config startup-commands" output. Please refer Note below for more details.
  2. AireOS to IOS-XE(Converged Access) conversion: For folks looking to migrate from AireOS platforms 2500/3500/5500/7500/8500/WISM2/vWLC controllers to IOS-xe/Denali platforms 3650/3850/4500 S8E/5760. Inputs required: TFTP config backup from AireOS or "show run-config startup-commands" output Phase1: Only provide WLAN migration
  3. IOS-XE(Converged Access) to AireOS conversion: For folks looking to migrate from IOS-XE/Denali platforms 3650/3850/4500 S8E/5760 controllers to AireOS platforms 2500/3500/5500/7500/8500/WISM2/vWLC. Inputs required: "show running-config" output from IOS-xe/Denali based platforms Phase1: Only provides WLAN migration
  4. AireOS to AireOS(5520/8540) conversion: For folks looking to migrate from older AireOS platforms 2500/5500/7500/8500/WISM2/vWLC controllers to newer AireOS platforms 5520/8540. Inputs required: TFTP config backup from AireOS or "show run-config startup-commands" output
  5. AireOS(5520/8540) to AireOS conversion: For folks looking to migrate from newer AireOS platforms 5520/8540 controllers to older AireOS platforms 2500/5500/7500/8500/WISM2/vWLC. Inputs required: TFTP config backup from AireOS or "show run-config startup-commands" output

Usage:

1. Click on tool link: https://cway.cisco.com/wlc-config-converter

2. Upload the required input file 

3. Select the conversion option

4. Hit Run for the output

Note:

1. For AireOS WLC's please do not confuse "show run-config startup-commands" output with "show run-config". Only"show run-config startup-commands" or TFTP config backup is a supported input format for AireOS migration.
  2. For Catalyst 9800 config migration – Please download the CFG file directly from the tool post-conversion and upload the translated .cfg file to 9800 "bootflash:”. Then execute: “copy bootflash: running-config>” on your WLC 9800 for config migration.

Release Notes Update (Sep 2020) for AireOS--> Cat 9800 Conversion:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fixes available in release 0.4.6 :
1: Need to merge service-policy under policy-profile.
2: TACACS+ http auth was given group name instead of the method name.
3: wireless policy Profile description should not exceed 64 characters
4: Need to Move CCx configs ( l2raom rf-params Cli) to unsupported list
5: Client RSSI level value need to be modified
6: ip name-server config shows twice with same IP Address.
7: Need to remove name-server IP address config they have address 0.0.0.0
8: Need to add note or default manager user/password credentials for AP in ap-profile
9: line console timeout command is giving error
10: config database size, config mgmtuser telnet should be in not applicable category.
11: VLAN description name having "" command is failing when I apply this config on ewlc.
12: arptimeoout configuration command mapped to unmapped cli list.

Fixes available in release 0.4.5 :

1: prompt configuration should be avoided for C9800

2: user-name cli config have duplicate entries for type, privilege and password.

3: CTS SXP wrong replacement rule

4: IP helper add and dhcp ser in profile policy needs to remove when dhcp proxy is disable

5: Generate all the class map in single go for avc profile to avoid multiple airos config

6: Optimize class-map the qos-map migration one entry for the same user priority

7: SNMP community global configuration failed to unconfig

8: Need to add comments before enabling lag in ap-profile

Release: 0.4.4

Best practices:
Please upload the following:
AireOS: "show run-config startup-commands" output or TFTP config backup
Please download the CFG file directly from the tool post conversion. Use C9800-GUI -> Configuration -> Services -> AireOS Config Translator to apply configuration on C9800.

Note:
1: Lines start with prefix "!$" need to be taken care before applying to C9800.
2: Lines start with prefix "!%" have note and sample examples, about feature and steps to follow.

Fixes available in release 0.4.4 :
1: "wireless autoqos policy-profile <> mode" need to be configure in exec mode.
2: regex markup "{mf_mac_delimiter}" not getting replaced with actual value.
3: Guide to configure mobility group name
4: SNMP trapflags
5: Uncomment exit in radius config and add exit for TACACS config
6: Need shut VLAN first after that we have to make unshut
7: MDNS gateway need to be configured globally prior to interface Vlan.
8: MDNS gateway config added by default for all interfaces
9: TACACS server multiple time with same address
10: Existing the submode before executing next command

Fixes available in release 0.4.3 :
1: config interface dhcp service-port disable
2: "ap country US" config coming twice.
3: "ip name-server" config coming multiple times.
4: "mdns-sd service-definition" config coming multiple times.
5: Service policy config issue under mdns-sd gateway for a vlan
6: Flow monitor config issues.
7: Updated the not supported and not applicable list.
8: Unmapped trap flags categorized as unsupported.
9: SNMP syslocation, syscontact changes
10: Hostname max 16 chars
11: Guide to configure parameter-map.
12: Added the exit command for the ap profile, radius servers, site tag configs.
13: AP country list support was added.
14: ACL syntax issues.

59 Replies 59

I was afraid of that.  Thank you for the quick reply.

Liam S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Will this work for the vWLC to 9800 conversion? Not in a position to test it today but it would be good to know if anyone has tried it?

Thank you

Config conversion should work on vwlc to C9800

Hi,

It works but it is not an ideal tool I have plenty of "unmap config" all related with CoA on FLEX. Most documentations shows you how to redirect same VLAN which WLAN refers to. What if I would like to use CoA with 2 or more VLANs on 1 WLAN with local switching? Do you know maybe where I could find proper documentation for that?

Thank you for answer.

chenboming
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, does it work form a 2504 to 9800?

Hi, does it work form a 2504 to 9800?
Yes - 2504 is AireOS - but take note of the limitations of the tool. Some config cannot be converted, some is not supported.  So go through the results carefully - don't just assume you've been given a complete new 9800 config.  It's often better to start with a fresh 9800 config and only refer to this when you get stuck on something.

I wanted to use it but end up doing everything from the very beginning and I encourage you to do same. The only part from converted configuration that is really handy is when you will have to move all AP's MAC's to 9800, but beside that - I feel it is useless.

I agree. I did the same. It made more sense to get familiar with the GUI and how to build profiles, policies, and use tags. Start fresh and you'll clear out a lot of old garbage that never got removed over the years.

mfrymus317
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, after analyzing the translated config and making the appropriate changes, when clicking "apply" does this replace the current running config of the 9800, or only add the translated commands to the existing running config? I'd like to know this because my 9800 has only a management configuration, and I'm wondering if I should prune the management interface configuration stanza from the translated config from my 5520 to avoid the risk of overwriting the management interface config.

It will override just like any other section of CLI config being applied . Please take the translated config , review for changes and apply it via CLI method as recommended in the tool .

@mfrymus317 please read the previous comments - you really should not be trying to apply the entire converted config to the 9800.
You should simply use it as guide for any bits of the new config you get stuck with.
Ideally you should build your new config from afresh.

Yes, like with any IOS-XE device if you apply the new config it will replace or at least merge with your existing config.

And when you've built your new config use the Config Analyzer (link below) to check your config.
Also refer to the best practice guidelines (link below)
And make sure your IOS version is up to date as per the TAC recommended link below.

Hello @Shankar Ramanathan 

Thank you so much for this!

However, I have encounter some issue with some of SSID. Could you confirm if "Local Net Users" are included when translating the AireOS configuration to IOS?

Because one of our SSIDs have a local username and password as authentication. What will be the resolution here? Do we need to manually configure the users from WLC5500 Local Net Users database to C9800 controller? Can you help us where we will configure the below image in the new C9800 controller?

RC_Local-Net-Users_wlc5500.JPG

Appreciate your help on this. Thank you!

@Jan Marlon Manansala the output from the tool clearly states:
!% Note: 1: Lines start with prefix '!$' need to be taken care before applying to C9800.
And you'll find that applies to anything with a password because they cannot be converted.
It does however give you the framework of the config which you need to apply.

Hi @Rich R

Noted on this, but the concern is the local net users registered in the WLC5500 that are not converted to IOS C9800. Would you know if there's a way to import those users to the C9800 controller? We are using a local webauth for one of our networks. Thank you!

Well if you have the list of usernames and passwords then you can put them in Excel, use a formula to build the config then copy/paste into 9800.

If you're hoping there's a way to do it automatically, no there is not.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_c9800_wireless_controller_series_web_dg.html#id_84130

DEPLOY TRANSLATED AND UPDATED CONFIGURATION

The tool does not translate shared secret and passwords as these are stored encrypted and have to be re-entered by the user. For easy identification of such configurations, they are highlighted and required to be edited manually by the user.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card