cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot upgrade from version 1.1.4 to 1.2

Rick Daoust
Level 1
Level 1

When trying to upgrade our first of six ISE servers from 1.1.4 to 1.2 we receive the following error message:

Data upgrade step 34/80, RegisterPostureTypes(1.2.0.363)... .......................Failed.
Rolling back the configuration database...
Starting application after rollback...

% Warning: Do the following steps to revert node to its pre-upgrade state.
-Register this node back to old Primary
error: %post(CSCOcpm-os-1.2.0-899.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
% Application upgrade failed. Please check logs for more details or contact Cisco Technical Assistance Center for support.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

8 Replies 8

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Rick,

I ran into this issue also, please take a backup of your 1.1.4 database, include certs, and any custom profiling policies...etc (basically follow the release notes). Then reimage the box to 1.2 and restore your 1.1.4 database, ISE 1.2 can now detect the older version of db and will upgrade it. I tried the same upgrade 3 times before I went this route and it worked flawlessly.

Also please check the md5sum of your download I had to download mine 3 times before I got a good copy. You can find the reference md5sum when you over the image name in the download section.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

To add to Tarik's statement, please make sure you are upgrading from latest patch on 1.1.x I did a test with unpatched 1.1.3 and saw this result.

If you have root patch you can have a look into upgrade logs to see where it went wrong ;-)

M.

Do you know if I can check md5 from ISE cli?

I have transfered the upgrade bundle to ISE, as it say in the upgrade guide, but the size looks wrong and I can't find a md5 command in ISE.

This command is not available through cli, were you able to verify the md5sum through the repository that you pulled the upgrade image from? You may need to open a case with tac to have the rootpatch installed and through there you can verify the md5sum.

Thanks,

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Yes I verified the file in the repository and there it was OK.

The intresting part is that when I transfer it to ISE it allways cut of at 2147483648 Bytes. Every time, different ISE-servers.

Might have something to do with TFTP and large files. Will try with FTP after my vacation.

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Rick you must have to check the md5sum as suggested by Tarik because most of time it happens that when you download the image it is not downloaded properly. md5sum is used to detect the same.

Vivek Santuka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While what Tarik mentioned will work, I wanted to add the cause and fix for the error for anyone else that runs into this.

The "RegisterPostureTypes" error will be seen if there is a blank posture rule/condition in the DB. Since none of the pre-built rules are blank, take a quick look at your custom rules from the GUI and remove the blank ones or add content to them before attempting to upgrade again.

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ftp is the best option. There have been issues with tftp in my experiences.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App