Views
Helpful
Replies

failed backup repo?

teamdv6199
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have ISe 3595 v2.7. I am trying to make sure my backup with TFTP is correctly backedup. 

DEVC-ISE-01/admin# show repository TFTPRepo

When i do show repo I get what looks like to be a error but I am not sure. The backups did appear in the folder on my tftp server.

Can someone let me know if this is good?

% Error: Repository TFTPRepo could not be accessed. In case Backup was Restored on different setup, Please reconfigure the repository passwords (expected behaviour).

% Protocol does not support listing directories
DEVC-ISE-01/admin# debug transfer 7
DEVC-ISE-01/admin# show re
repository restore
DEVC-ISE-01/admin# show repository TFTPRepo
% Error: Repository TFTPRepo could not be accessed. In case Backup was Restored on different setup, Please reconfigure the repository passwords (expected behaviour).
6 [23603]:[info] transfer: cars_xfer.c[232] [admin]: not supported - tftp dir of repository TFTPRepo requested
% Protocol does not support listing directories

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

tftp is not supported for backups

ArneBier_0-1715813223462.png

Have a look at the support matrix in the ISE 2.7 Admin Guide

It makes you wonder why it's even an option in ISE - they should remove it. tftp is ancient and running on UDP - it's not a good solution in the modern era. It was cool 30 years ago.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

tftp is not supported for backups

ArneBier_0-1715813223462.png

Have a look at the support matrix in the ISE 2.7 Admin Guide

It makes you wonder why it's even an option in ISE - they should remove it. tftp is ancient and running on UDP - it's not a good solution in the modern era. It was cool 30 years ago.

Ugh do you know my ftp server wont work with a back up? I cant ping or ssh to it from my ISE server.

Wed May 15 21:25:35 UTC 2024: backup Repo_backup-CFG10-240515-2118.tar.gpg to repository TFTPRepo: success

Thu May 16 13:58:43 UTC 2024: backup joe05_16-CFG10-240516-1351.tar.gpg to repository FTPrepo-1: error - transfer failed

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello

No idea about your FTP server - you need to provide some useful details - like, a show run of the node on which you are running the command, and of course, what have you tried (have you logged into the ftp server with the same account elsewhere, preferably on the same IP subnet) ? Where are the rest of the ISE transfer 7 debugs?

If you want to prove if TCP connection is working between ISE and the FTP server then run a tcpdump from the ISE GUI and check the results in wireshark. If TCP SYN/ACK is there, then there is no firewall issue.  The issue is perhaps the filename path - it's best to experiment with putting  /    or  /home/ftpuser      etc paths, depending of course what your ftp server is configured for. If it's a Windows FTP server, then ISE will still expect the path to use forward slashes ("/") and not Windows style back slashes.