Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Room Bar with Interactive Screen and Touchback Control

Hi Team,

Is it feasible to connect a Room Bar to an interactive screen using the touchback feature of the screen via USB-A? Basically, I want to be able to control my PC on the screen whenever I connect the HDMI for content sharing from the PC to the Room Bar or USB-C for BYOD.

This would be in a scenario where the Room Bar is in Microsoft Teams mode and not in Webex mode. This is because, according to this article Third-party touchscreen support for Room Series devices, only the Dell C Series Large Format or the Samsung QMR-T Digital Signage Series would support this in a scenario where the Room Bar is in Webex mode, turning a Room Bar + Interactive Screen scenario into a Cisco Board, which is not what I want.

The scenario would be a Room Bar implemented in Microsoft Teams mode, with Device Registration, using a Clevertouch interactive screen with touchback for videoconference control, and with an HDMI for content sharing or USB-C for content sharing and BYOD from the client PC to the Room Bar, with the possibility of controlling my PC on the screen.

The Room Bar datasheet says “Touchscreen compatible (when used together with USB-A inputs for touch signaling)” but with the note “Availability with future software release” However, the datasheet has not been updated since October 2023.

So, do you know if this setup is possible without equipment restrictions?

Thank you very much! Best regards

1 Reply 1

sveistef
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Short answer is "maybe, but we may need to go about this differently". The last bullet point in article you refer to states "Touch redirect is not supported".

The longer answer is that even though using 3rd party touch screens with RoomOS devices (be in in RoomOS or MTR mode) is supported, the intended use case is to control in-meeting white boards and generally acess the meeting controls from the the touch instead of (or in addition to) using a Navigator.

If we forward the touches to a PC, we would not know when you're trying to control the device vs control your PC, and we would have no way to "take back" control once we hand it off.

A way to do what you want could be to simply bypass the Cisco Device and connect the touch screen USB directly to your PC. The Cisco device would be none the wiser that you're actually using a touch screen, but there is a very important caveat here: You should never do this in single screen mode, as the touches would be "off" if the layout is not fullscreen presentation. This is one of the benefits of using our touch screen support for whiteboarding; we will map the touch to where you expect it based on your layout, so the lines you draw on your whiteboard do show up where you want and expect them.

I hope this makes sense, and I wish you luck with this setup.