cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Meme Monday: Me trying to choose a web framework.

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are so many to choose from, I don't know where to start!There are so many to choose from, I don't know where to start!

About a year ago, I embarked on a project that involved developing a web application. Although I lacked any significant experience with Javascript or CSS, I realized that I needed to leverage a web framework to build rapid prototypes. Consequently, I began the daunting task of selecting a suitable framework from the plethora of options available. My lack of familiarity with the options made it challenging to make a decision. I was feeling overwhelmed by the number of web frameworks available:

1. React JS: a JavaScript library developed by Facebook that is commonly used for building scalable and high-performance user interfaces.
  2. Vue.js: a progressive JavaScript framework that is ideal for building user interfaces and single-page applications.
  3. Angular JS: a popular frontend web framework that is maintained by Google and used for building dynamic, single-page web applications.
  4. Express: a fast, minimalist web framework for Node.js that provides a simple yet powerful API for building web applications.
  5. Next.js: an open-source web development framework created by the private company Vercel providing React-based web applications with server-side rendering and static website generation.

After careful consideration, I eventually settled on React JS as my preferred frontend web framework because of its popularity and support from the communities.

The best web framework for you will depend on your specific needs and requirements. So don't be afraid to experiment and try out different frameworks until you find one that you're happy with. Here are some tips for choosing a web framework:

• Consider your project's requirements. What features do you need? What kind of performance do you need?
  • Read reviews and compare frameworks. There are many resources available online that can help you compare different frameworks.
  • Try out different frameworks. Don't be afraid to experiment and see which one you like best.
  • Ask for help from the community. There are many online forums and communities where you can ask for help and advice from other developers.

With a little research and effort, you'll be sure to find the perfect web framework for your project.

6 Replies 6

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

logo.png

I recently discovered SolidJS, a lightweight and impressive Javascript web framework created by Ryan Carniato in 2019. It has gained popularity among the JavaScript community due to its exceptional performance and straightforwardness. SolidJS utilizes a reactive programming paradigm that simplifies the creation and management of dynamic UIs without worrying about state management, which can be challenging and cumbersome with React JS.

While SolidJS shares some similarities with other popular frontend libraries such as React and Vue, it differs in several significant ways. One of the primary distinctions is that instead of utilizing a Virtual DOM, it compiles its templates to real DOM nodes, which allows it to update only the parts of the UI that have changed rather than re-rendering the entire UI every time there is a modification. This methodology contributes to the improvement of SolidJS-based applications' performance. Additionally, SolidJS has built-in support for server-side rendering (SSR).

I am excited to migrate my web applications from React JS to SolidJS to take advantage of its features, which include easy-to-read and write code, as well as higher performance.

sinmanic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Interested to know more about the migration plan from React to SolidJS

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check out this youtube video from Jack Harrington with a live tutorial converting a React JS ecommerce app to Solid JS:

Also, this tool may be useful for you:

ReactJS to SolidJS Converter

Hope that help.

Regards,

David

Thanks David. Will go through the video. 

Josh Morris
Level 3
Level 3

I was just about to post a thread questioning something similar. I am not a web developer. My experience so far has been using Hugo and Flask. Based on this, is there a web framework that would make sense for me to try first? One with a lower learning curve? My initial goal is to create a website that can help enable my IS teams to perform simple, standardized workflows (Ex: Add a new device to Cisco ISE) via a backend Python job. Maybe Flask is the right approach, I just don't know.

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're a beginner, I recommend exploring the FARM stack. However, instead of opting for React JS as the web framework, I suggest starting with Solid JS. Solid JS has shown exceptional performance in benchmark tests, surpassing frameworks like Svelte and Elm, as well as popular ones like Vue and Redux. Although React JS remains the largest and most widely used framework, Solid JS has gained significant interest in recent years, as indicated by a ranking chart shared by an active React JS YouTuber.

ranking.png

I recommend watching this tutorial series on Solid JS from the Net Ninja as a starting point. Subscribe to his Youtube channels to learn all about web frameworks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW5YeuERMmlnqo4oq8vwUpg

Hope that helps