What is Collaboration Enabled Business Transformation and how different is it from CEBP or Communications Enabled Business Process?
Communications Enabled Business Process has been an industry term for sometime.
Today the market is rife with various acronyms CEBP, BPR etc that all mean niche integration of communication capabilities into different business areas. In this blog I would like to bring out my definition and perspectives around Collaborations Enabled Business Transformation (CEBT).
CEBT is the embedding of Communications and Collaboration capabilities into the business fabric of enterprises driving efficiency, optimization and transformation
The following diagram depicts what is in scope for a CEBT flow
Business events such as Process Excursion, Deviation or Threshold attainment require different enterprise participants to respond or make appropriate decision. CEBT involves the identification of these expert/experts, then utilizing user contextual information such as Presence, availability and preferences routing the business context to these experts. Where the event requires team response, collaborative mechanisms such as video, audio or web conferencing is used to facilitate team conversations. Further escalation and delegation rules are built into the flows. Information repositories and workspaces aid in information sharing to aid in the decision making process.
The above in scope flows are then integrated into either existing or transformed process flows.
How does CEBT differ from Communications Enabled Business Processes or CEBP?
CEBT differs from CEBP in the following ways:
- CEBT seamlessly integrates rich collaboration, social enterprise features and communications into business processes and applications as opposed to CEBP that includes only communication capabilities notably notifications.
- CEBT includes two types of process integrations
- Process transformation – This involves changing or transforming the underlying business process through the use of communications, collaboration and social features. This accelerates the business value/business case from CEBT
- Process optimization – This involves just embedding communications and collaboration into the business process without changing the underlying process flow.
- CEBT is more than a product or offer. It is a full fledged methodology. This concept is further detailed below
What is the CEBT methodology?
CEBT is not a single product, solution or integration but is a methodology that involves the following:
· analyzing the strategic framework of an enterprise
· identifying the gaps or points of improvement
· Modeling the process flows that drive these concerns.
· analyzing the process flows using the deep process analysis methodology
· drawing up the collaborative process flow changes
· computing the economic impact from the optimized or transformed process flow
· And finally implementing these flows using communications and collaboration technology.
Just as any other transformational activity within an enterprise, CEBT is also governed by financial and operational metrics. The deep process analysis of the baseline and transformational state together with financial analysis of the variances and impact on the enterprise help derive the business case justification for these projects
In blogs following this we will explore and discuss the various components of this methodology. However before we delve into the details and debate the component structure of this methodology I would like to get feedback from all of you on how relevant do you find CEBT for your enterprise/partner/customer? Look forward to some lively discussion on this topic