A CUBE license is required on the router(s) actively connecting Service Provider SIP trunks into enterprise networks.
CUBE is defined as an IPIPGW (i.e. H.323-SIP, SIP-SIP or H.323-H.323 dial-peer connections, using the "voice service voip > allow-connections" CLI). Gatekeeper is defined as the H.323 GK functionality (and "gatekeeper" CLI).
CUBE licensing is not yet enforced, so no Product Activation Key (PAK) is required and nothing is installed on the router, you need only a "right-to-use" paper license. GK licensing is enforced as of 12.4.20T. This functionality will stop functioning on the router after a period of time if a physical license is not installed on the router (PAK).
On the Cisco 2800/3800 Series ISRs G1s:
- The CUBE and GK applications share the same license SKUs
- You need an IOS image of IP Voice or greater to run CUBE, and for GK you need the one of the IVS or AVS images
- You need a CUBE/GK license (platform or per-session, enforced for GK, not enforced for CUBE)
On the Cisco 2900/3900 Series ISR G2s:
- CUBE and GK applications have separate license SKUs
- You need an UC Pkg/license (equivalent of IPV/IVS/AVS IOS images on the 2800/3800s) - this is enforced, so a PAK is required
- You need a CUBE (per-session, not enforced) or GK license (platform, enforced)
Additional details are covered in the CUBE Ordering Guide