The CIMC XML API is a programmatic interface to the Cisco Integrated Management Controller (CIMC) in a standalone Cisco C-Series server. System administrators can interact with the XML API by passing XML documents via HTTP/HTTPS and the CIMC XML API is implemented to behave in a similar fashion to the UCSM XML API. Since the methods and functions supported by the XML API are a subset of those supported by UCSM, administrators familiar with the UCSM XML API will be able to reuse the same development techniques and tools to integrate with their Standalone Cisco C-Series servers. The CIMC XML API implementation is consistent in syntax and semantics with UCSM XML API.
The CIMC inventory, state and configuration information is modeled in a hierarchical tree structure known as the Management Information Tree (MIT) where data is queried and processed in real time as commands are passed rather than pulled from a repository as is the case with UCSM. The CIMC XML API reuses only a subset of UCSM Data Model objects and their representation in Management Information Tree (MIT).
Enhancements included in the CIMC 1.5 release include:
- Performance improvement in XML API query response time
- Configure complete Boot Order table in a single XML API Set request
- Configure complete BIOS token set in a single XML API Set request
- Query default BIOS token values
- Get and Set VIC (Cisco P81E and VIC 1225) configuration
- Retrieve LSI RAID configurations
- Retrieve CPU, DIMM and Motherboard statistics (current temp, voltage & current)
- Query MAC addresses of non VIC network adapters including LOMs
- Retrieve server hardware inventory
- Retrieve Cisco Catalog PIDs
- Update/Activate CIMC, BIOS and VIC firmware individually
- Support for CIMC and VIC secondary/backup firmware images
- Reported faults are logged by the fault engine and can be retrieved on demand or asynchronously delivered to end users through XML API event channel provided user has opened an event channel explicitly using eventSubscribe XML Method
- Support for scriptable VMedia, NTP time sync and VIC iSCSI Boot
- Query/Configuration support of CIMC Local Users, Active Directory and SNMP features
- Multi server complete firmware update through HUU automation using XML API interface
- Firmware update tools (Windows/Python utilities) for Multi-server firmware updates
- KVM Console Launch Capabilities
To begin working with the C-Series CIMC XML API, download the Cisco C-Series CIMC XML API Programmer's Guide. This guide provides an overview of the XML API, the UCS management information model and contains numerous API examples.
Links to XML API Schema Files: