Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI Simulator - Can not connect or ping

sisyco3022
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
So i fired up ACI Simulator using ProxMox Hypervisor.

I have set my static IP as follow:

IPv4 address: 192.168.1.200/24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

the IP address is free and available in my network.
The subnet is correct.
The gateway is correct.

However, i cannot ping ACI Simulator or cannot ping from inside ACI Sim to outside. 
For example:
I log into the ACI Simulator console and ping the gateway or a host in my network and I get 100% Packet loss.
I tried this in VirtualBox as well and i get the same results.

If i look at 'ifconfig', i see my apic1-eth1 inet is 192.168.1.200, net mask: 255.255.255.0, broadcast: 0.0.0.0

I believe the broadcast is wrong and should probably be 192.168.1.255 but not sure if thats causing the issue.

When i first configured ACI Simulator, i was not prompted to enter the broadcast address. 

Not sure whats causing the issue. All my other Linux VM's use the same VirtIO (paravirtualized) bridge adapter and they work just fine.  Not sure how i can resolve this or update the broadcast address to see if it resolvs the issue. 

Any ideas would be great.  Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Those hypervisors aren't officially supported to run the sim.  You need to likely just enable promiscious mode on the vSwitch/NIC the Sim is using, otherwise it will not be able to receive broadcast traffic destined for it.

Robert

david2658brewer
Level 1
Level 1

Ensure ACI Simulator VM network settings are correct. Verify IP address and gateway configurations. Check network adapter type and connection in ProxMox/VirtualBox. Confirm no IP conflicts. Troubleshoot using ping and traceroute. Restart networking service if needed. Review firewall settings for ICMP traffic.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License