Views
Helpful
Replies

LEAF stuck in "Decommissioning" state

suneq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to decommission/remove a LEAF from an ACI Fabric to use it for another Fabric.

I followed this procedure https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/4-x/troubleshooting/Cisco-APIC-Troubleshooting-Guide-42x/Cisco-APIC-Troubleshooting-Guide-42x_chapter_01000.html

right clicked to the switch and selected "Remove from Controller".

The switch is removed from the Pod (Fabric > Inventory) but I still see it in "Fabric Membership" with "Decommissioning" state. I can ping its mgmt IP but now I cannot login the switch (neither ISE login nor apic#fallback\\admin works). Reboot the switch does not help.

Has anyone faced this issue before? Could you please guide me how to remove properly the switch? I can find articles saying that we should "Decommission" first and then "Remove from Controller", others say that we should "Maintenance (GIR)" first and then "Remove from Controller". I don't know which one is correct but clearly "Remove from Controller" is not enough.

Thanks for your advices.

1 Reply 1

disales
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello there @suneq 

Within you current situation i would suggest you to open a tac case and get some assistance.

However here are some steps you can take.

Check the APIC via cli to see what / double check the status of the leaf using acidiag fnvread

Try performing a clean reboot of the leaf node, log in to the node (by what you mentioned you might need to go via console) and execute the following:

1. >setup-clean-config.sh

2. >reload

If you find my reply solved your question or issue, kindly click the 'Accept as Solution' button and vote it as helpful.

You can also learn more about Cisco ACI through our live Ask the Experts (ATXs) session. Check out Cisco ACI ATXs Resources [https://community.cisco.com/t5/data-center-and-cloud-knowledge/cisco-aci-ask-the-experts-resources/ta-p/4394491] to view the latest schedule for upcoming sessions, as well as the useful references, e.g. online guides, FAQs.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License