cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP BPDU FTAG ACI Fabric

NDP
Level 1
Level 1

Could someone confirm if ACI Fabric maintains Ftag tree for RSTP BPDUs as well.

I read that ACI fabric maps EPG to multicast group and maintain Ftag tree to flood the Unknown unicast, Broadcast & Multicast.

Would like to know if ACI fabric maintains the Mutlicast group & Ftag tree for BPDUs as well within the ACI fabric and doesn't forward the leaf ports which are not registered to Multicast group mapped to EPG( no endpoints for EPG permitted over leaf port).

Thank you in advance

1 Reply 1

NDP
Level 1
Level 1

The reason Why I asked this question. considering following scenario

(i) RSTP PVST enabled three switches connected to ACI Fabric A, B & C ( link type rstp shared)

(ii) VLAN10, VLAN 20, VLAN30 are created on the switches and permitted over the uplinks (trunk) connected to ACI

(iii) A is the root bridge and has endpoints for VLAN 10, 20 , 30 & B also has endpoints connected to it in VLAN 10, 20 & 30

(iv) C switch has no endpoints connected for any VLANs 

I believe that all three A, B, C switches generate BPDUs with VLAN tags. would like to know if the BPDUs are still flooded to the Leaf switch port where the switch " C" connected to . because, "C" switch has no endpoints connected in any VLANs. but, "C" will also be sending the BPDus with all VLAN tags.

in this case, does ACI leaf register the port for Multicast group :-) 

Could someone clarify. I observed that ACI didnt forward BPDUs to "C" switch sometimes when there were TCN changes were seen and "C" started claiming to be the root switch.

Thank you in adavnce

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License