Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to get SNMPv2 to work in ACI

bmcherndon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am a relatively novice with Cisco ACI and was trying to enable SNMP connectivity to it, so that I could send GET requests from my SNMP client.  I tried configuring SNMP in ACI using the following resource:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/getting-started/video/cisco_apic_configure_snmp_policy.html

After doing so however, the GET requests I send from my SNMP client time out.  I am using SNMP v2 however, not SNMP v3, so instead of adding an SNMP user as instructed in that video above, I instead added a Community Policy with the name "public", to match the read-community string I am sending from my SNMP client on GET requests.  If I ssh into the APIC controller and run "show snmp", it shows my SNMP policy as enabled.

I then read somewhere in the docs that as of ACI v1.2, one must be using an Out-of-Band contract that permits traffic on UDP 161 in order for SNMP to work.  I found the following document which describes doing this:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/data-center-documents/technote-snmp-in-the-aci-fabric/ta-p/3157795?attachment-id=6075

I tried following the instructions in that link, to add an Out-of-Band contract for the Mgmt Tenant, however I don't seem to have it configured correctly, because my SNMP requests are still being ignored by ACI. 

In following the instructions, there was no Out-of-Band contract in my Mgmt Tenant yet, so I created one under Security Policies -> Out-of-Band Contracts, and created a Subject for it which uses a Filter I created separately (which matches all IP->UDP packets for now). 

Is there something else needed to get this all to work?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

2 Replies 2

Were you able to resolve?  I'm currently working through this myself.  I'll help if I can figure this out :)

FYI, I was able to get this resolved.  I had to rebuild the default contract.  Somehow it was hosed up, although the configuration was correct.  By rebuilding the default contact, any/any was once again working and SNMP also worked.