cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot initiate calls from tel protocol links in Chrome

paul.deluca
Level 1
Level 1

Chrome install as the default protocol handler for the tel protocol. After installing the Jabber client, the registry keys appear to be set properly to initiate Jabber for these links, but I get no response when the links are clicked. Xmpp links work fine.

9 Replies 9

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you download and install the Chrome web extension? 

Cisco Web Communicator - Chrome Web Store

Didn't think I needed to since I'm trying to initiate a call through the Jabber client, however I just tried it and it still does nothing.

You need the extension for Jabber voice/video.  It became necessary when Chrome abandoned support for NPAPI. 

But I misunderstood what you're trying to do.  Somehow I misread that as installing the Jabber SDK, not the Jabber client, sorry.

I'm looking into the tel protocol issue.  No luck so far, but I'll come back if I find anything. 

[deleted old information]

Okay, sounds like you've done all the right things, and click-to-call on tel: is officially supported.  I'm continuing to investigate. 

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Jabber team reported that this is a Chrome issue.  Chrome apparently takes ownership of tel: so it never gets to Jabber. You can use ciscotel: instead, and that should work (assuming everything else is configured properly) until Google fixes Chrome. 

Thanks for the info. Does this mean that I just have to configure the registry to include ciscotel: or that the links have to be coded with ciscotel: instead of tel:? If I don't have control over how the links are coded then I guess I'm out of luck at this point.

The links have to be coded for ciscotel: 

The registry should already have the ciscotel keys and values.  I checked my test system, and they were automatically generated (they have the same values as the tel: registry entries). 

I think there's a problem with Lync, too, but that could be solved with a Lync registry change.  Unfortunately, a Jabber registry change won't fix this. 

mgomez
Level 4
Level 4

I have been fighting this for sometime and have found this to work and fix the problem.

This can be manipulated by deleting the 'Tel:' registry value at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Google Chrome\Capabilities\URLAssociations\