cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Closed Captioning on Cisco Jabber using Hamilton Captel for Business Interconnected by Tenacity

Himank Pande
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day Experts,

We use Cisco Jabber as a standard Solution for our users. Our requirement is to have a Closed Captioning Solution for Calls on Cisco Jabber. Since there is no native Caption Support, I am trying to integrate Cisco Interconnect Server (CIS) by Tenacity - http://www.accessaphone.com/products/captioning/, with Cisco Jabber using a Custom TAB.

The way this works with respect to a Cisco Phone is as under:

Captioning Architecture.PNG

We are trying to imitate the way this works for a Cisco Phone and bring live captioning on Cisco Jabber as a Custom TAB or as an HTML pop up.

Here is what I was able to achieve:

Created a Jabber Custom TAB to include the CIS Server Details using:

<jabber-plugin-config>

<browser-plugin>

<page refresh="true" preload="false">

<tooltip>Captions</tooltip>

<icon></icon>

<url>http://<CIS-Captioning-Server-IP>:8000/?user_id=<Username>&amp;pin=<PIN></url>

</page>

</browser-plugin>

</jabber-plugin-config>

This Resulted in the following:

Jabber Caption1_LI.jpg

So I went ahead and configured this as any other CTI Controlled Phone with a recording profile and I was able to get forward but this did not work as there was no information coming in the <text> descriptor:

Jabber Caption2_LI.jpg

Further manually enabled Captioning and took the call on the CPIC and here is what I started getting (This was done since there was no toggle UI as yet on Jabber to Exit):

Jabber Caption4_LI.jpg

We were finally able to see live captioning as under:

Jabber Caption5_LI.jpg

The way this shows up on CIPC(or a Cisco IP Phone ) is as under:cipc1.PNG

cipc2.PNG

cipc3.PNG

Next, my problem is to make this show as a live text on a Cisco Jabber Custom TAB which is based on Chromium Embedded Framework to display the content. - QUESTION - How can we achieve that?

I did think of an option:

1. Create a Docker Containerized app.
  2. Launch an app within Jabber as a Custom TAB requesting Login and Password information from the user.
  3. Pass it to the CIS for validation.
  4. Connect to the captioning server(and Calls…).
  5. Get the inbound Text stream in XML and display as any Javascript page with complete control over the font.

The ISSUE, being faced is, how to capture the inbound Text Stream inside the <Text> </Text> Descriptor since I am not sure what the Cisco IP Phone/ Cisco IP Communicator does to parse that incoming stream and display it.

If we can achieve that functionality, we will have a solution on our hands unless there is something the Cisco Jabber BU is already working on?

Any help on this will be highly appreciated since we at NIH have a 508 User Community who urgently need a solution.

Thanks in advance.

- Himank Pande

4 Replies 4

plv@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi  Himank

Seems, the text returned is not an HTML or Javascript, so it cannot display correctly.  It's some text only for IP phones.

If it's an HTML, technically, it should work in Jabber

Thanks
Jefferson

upchaurasia
Spotlight
Spotlight

Actually you need to deploy a middleware service which will connect with CapTel solution at one end and Jabber Custom tab page at other end if CapTel is not supported for Jabber phone.

Custom tab HTML page should have web socket client implementation and should connect to your middleware service. Whenever there is a call connected your middleware service will receive captions from CapTel server and same should be transmitted to web socket based on Jabber phone DN.

Regards,

Umesh

Thanks for the response on this Umesh.

Is there a middleware service you recommend that can be used to implement this over websockets?

Himank Pande

Did you check with Hamilton Captel ? I am sure they must have plugin for Jabber also like normal Cisco IP Phone which accepts XML.

If they don't have solution for Jabber then let us know. We will discuss offline. 

Regards,

Umesh Chaurasia