cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sending messages to webbased chat solution (but not to jabber native client)

jalladi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

We are connecting to jabber server through CAXL libraries to simulate chat communication. Here, I have a requirement to send messages only to web based chat application which is established through CAXL but not to jabber native client. Let us know whether we can route the messages only to web based chat application.

Thanks,

Jayasree

4 Replies 4

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here's how to do it:  When you establish your web client, you specify a resource.  For example, "webclient":

client = new jabberwerx.Client("webclient");

Let's assume you're logged into the web client as joe@youdomain.com.  When someone wants to send a message to you at the web client only, they would send it to joe@yourdomain.com/webclient. 

Not all Jabber applications let you address a message to a specific resource, but if you're using Jabber SDK (CAXL) to send the messages, it's easy. 

In general, this is how most other applications work. You send a message to joe@domain.com, which he receives on all his Jabber clients. Joe responds from the web client as joe@domain.com/webclient.  Now that you've started a conversation, your client automatically continues the conversation with joe@domain.com/webclient and the rest of the conversation only shows up on that client. 

But if you want to START the conversation with the web client only, then you'd need to do what I described above -- address your first message to joe@domain.com/webclient.

Thanks for your reply Nicholas. I tried with CAXL API & jqchatdemo by creating client with 'webclient' argument. Now, I tried with two users who are logged in both web console and jabber native client. But messages going to both web chat console and jabber native client.

Can you please correct me if I am doing anything wrong?

Hi Nicholas,

Appending resource name while invoking chat communication is working fine but only when sender has permanent contact subscription (roster contact) with receiver. It is not working when sender is temporary contact subscription (quick contact) with receiver.

Can you please guide me how to proceed with the same?

Thanks,

Jayasree

I wasn't aware of that limitation with quick contacts.  I'll have to play with it to see what I can discover.