Note, selecting 'packettracer' instead of './Packet_Tracer822_amd64_signed.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
packettracer : Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

8 Replies 8

deknusapt
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem too after clean install the Ubuntu 24.04 LTS - Noble Numbat, and I think it occurs with this package libgl1-mesa-glx. Which is currently unavailable with current version of Ubuntu according to the package page here Ubuntu – Package Search Results -- libgl1-mesa-glx.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
packettracer : Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

EDIT: I tried myself to use the libgl1-mesa-glx packages from the repository link above and installed the libgl1-mesa-glx (23.0.4-0ubuntu1~23.04.1) [universe] .deb file here to my persistent machine which totally works for launching the Cisco Packet Tracer v8.2.2 on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. But, this method is temporary and intended for someone who needs the program run ASAP, it would be better wait for the next update of the packages or CPT itself to be tested and delivered later (I guess, it might be on 24.04.1 or later updates).

Screenshot from 2024-04-28 16-52-08.png

How to install the dependencies:

1. Go to the libgl1-mesa-glx official Ubuntu package page here.
  2. Choose your own architecture, then scroll to pick which mirror site you prefer to download the package from.
  3. After finished the download, it comes with .deb file, then install the package using this command sudo dpkg -i <package_name.deb>
  4. Once the package installed, continue with Cisco Packet Tracer (.deb) installation using this command sudo dpkg -i <cisco_packet_tracer.deb>
  5. Installation is complete and you can play with your labs!

P.S: In case you don't know which architecture you used, you can check by using uname -m from terminal. Remember to install the dependencies or packettracer from the directory where the file is stored, so cd to the directory first. And, if you already installed the package and seems didn't work, try to reinstall the packet tracer first.

Hope it helps,

Regards.

Gopinath_Pigili
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello rickytigg,

I suggest you.... first try deknusapt's solution....hope it should work...

Incase...still if you have the issue...Please perfrom the following steps:

The two dependencies that refused to install were:

1) libxcb-xinerama0-dev

2) libgl1-mesa-glx

I simply installed the first one by opening my terminal and typing "sudo apt install libxcb-xinerama0-dev" and it worked.

Now, for the second dependency which was "libgl1-mesa-glx", I manually downloaded the file which was gotten from https://packages.debian.org/sid/libgl1-mesa-glx.

Scroll down and choose your architecture and click on it. When you get to the next page, choose any mirror link you want to start the download(it's a deb file).

When the download is done, open your terminal and type "sudo dpkg -i dependency_name.deb" and click enter or use a package installer to install it.

When the installation is done, try installing packet tracer by typing "sudo dpkg -i packet_tracer.deb" and click enter. This should install packet tracer finally for you.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Best regards
******* If This Helps, Please Rate *******

Thank you very much it worked perfectly

Thanks, I'll try and I'll let u know

It worked perfectly, Thanks a lot!

rickytigg
Level 1
Level 1

[Viable hack]

deknusapt |  It seems you figured out a viable hack. We can now therefore only wait, hoping to have a solution included in the next release of the program.

P.S. This hack, like many others, illustrates the need in this interface for a Viable hack label in case the choice of the Accept as solution label turns out to be inadequate. By definition the latter label refers in this context to an installer that does not require any hacking.

Exactly, like I mention above, it would be better to wait for the next update to be delivered so we don't need this viable hack method. Thus, the solution I mentioned above is intended for someone who has Ubuntu or other Linux distribution as their main operating system and found the same problem like this, where they needs this program to run immediately for certain purpose and can't wait for unconfirmed time for the update delivered.