cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forcing the user's display name in WebEx on iOS

aaron.gidusko
Level 1
Level 1

My team offers an online health service where end users connect via WebEx to a classroom. The display name for the users should always be anonymized for regulatory reasons.

We have a challenge with users who use WebEx at their own company and use the iPhone app.

We send users links to our WebEx sessions in their emails. These links contain the Display Name that the user should use, encoded in the URL. This experience works great for our desktop users.

If a user is already logged into the WebEx iPhone app with their real name ("Joe Smith"), and then clicks a link in their email to join our session (in Safari or in Gmail, for example), the WebEx iPhone app "takes over", launches, and connects the user to our session.

However, the Display Name that was in the URL they clicked is not honored. Instead of showing up in the WebEx session as "Guest 17" they show up as "Joe Smith" .

Is there any way that we can prevent this experience from happening?

The end user is already logged into the WebEx app on their iPhone for some reason that is unrelated to their relationship with our company. When they click a link from our company, we do NOT want to see their real name.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nmorrow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Attendee name and email cannot be passed to the mobile app by API. The mobile app will always use the stored value or device name by design. We cannot offer a work-around aside from communicating end user expectations and rejecting mobile device user agent strings.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

nmorrow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Attendee name and email cannot be passed to the mobile app by API. The mobile app will always use the stored value or device name by design. We cannot offer a work-around aside from communicating end user expectations and rejecting mobile device user agent strings.

Thank you, Nathan. This is as I suspected and I appreciate your confirmation.