Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto Login for Hunt Groups

Salesman.Gil1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Sorry if I did not post in the correct area, new to this forum. 

We are in the midst of purchasing a Cisco phone system, and I am working on the design. 

We are planning on relying mostly on Jabber, and not using actual hard phones. 

What I am wondering about is logging into hunt groups. I found a post that allows you to do this through Jabber, but what would be ideal is auto logging in to hunt groups based on presence. 

Is this possible? 

Thanks for your time. 

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, that is not something we have, we rely on this feature from CUCM, and it works the same as it would do on an IP Phone, you would need to log manually.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Is there a way to auto log users in? Previous hunt groups have failed due to users not logging in. Overall the entire logging in/out has been met with resistance. 

Perhaps the better question is why do the users need to log out of the hunt group? By default a user/device is logged in to all line groups it is a member of. The user cannot disable this unless you enable hunt/pickup UI controls within Jabber.

So, if the user wants the self-determinant control to logout then the onus is on them to log back in.

Other thoughts:

• you could write an in-house app that uses AXL to change the phones' config overnite, logging them back into the hunt groups. The API Is there; welcome to DevOps. :)
  • There is a Hunt Group Logoff Notification service parameter that can be used to nag/remind users who are logged out of a hunt that there are calls ringing in to it. I haven't tested this with Jabber though so I'm not certain it supports that feature.
  • There is built-in presence-respected logic:
    • If the user is on the phone they shouldn't be offered additional hunt calls. Hunt groups don't use call waiting.
    • If the user is in a presenting or DND status then the hunt calls would act like any normal call and the notification be beep/silent/suppressed. If the user shouldn't be taking calls, they can go DND to focus on the other task.

Thank you so much. That is very helpful information!

Essentially, user should never need to log out of the group, simply change their presence status to unavailable. Did I get this correct? 

Not quite. With the exception of call waiting, calls to a hunt group will alert identical to any other call. If the user doesn't want calls then the DND status then Cisco's intended design/behavior would be for the user to change their status to Do Not Disturb.

It's probably best to try this out yourself so you fully understand what the behavior is. The main intent of my response was to flip the question on it's head: if you're having problems with hunt group logout (HLog) then consider not enabling it in the first place.

Thank you. I appreciate your time and advice. I will have a go at, when we get the system installed.