cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bad Outgoing Voice Quality with Jabber Call

vyanover
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For conference calls from home, I am using Jabber to dial in. Incoming voice quality normally is good. However other participants on the call often complain that my voice is interrupted for several seconds and/or too low. I am using Jabber app on the laptop connected to wired LAN. Internet connection is provided by the cable operator with DL/UL = 100Mbps/2Mbps. The Jabber client version is 11.9.0, build  54538.

3 Replies 3

dunn1c
Level 1
Level 1

There are a number of things that could be causing poor audio quality over vpn. 

• slow connection speed
  • need to make sure your windows machine is marking the jabber packets
  • verify that you have adequate cpu and memory resources during the calls
  • dont be downloading large files during a call
  • there is no QoS over the internet
  • check with your network team to make sure the packets are being prioritized once they hit the network over the vpn tunnel

The response is not really helpful.

• The connection speed is specified in the question; it is fairly high
  • I cannot know whether my windows machine is marking the jabber packets; Jabber tech support  should know
  • My CPU and memory resources must be sufficient during the calls. There is no such effect when I use Jabber in the office, on same computer 
  • I certainly do not download large files during a call
  • The QoS over the internet: how can I measure it? Isn't Jabber doing the estimation of QoS during the call (e.g. jitter, packet loss)? Isn't it stored in the log files?
  • My network team is the Cisco network team, so you tell me. I am an employee of Cisco. The point of VPN is not relevant as the effect exists with and without VPN enabled

It could be your mic/software on your laptop. On my Lenovo, there is a mic setting that changes the mic from narrow to wide, from single person to group, etc. On some settings, the mic produces a terrible experience for my listener, and on other settings it's better. Or you could just have a bad mic/firmware. Can you try swapping to/from a headset, or swapping to a different workstation all together?