Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber features questions

marco_81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i'm collecting some customer's requirements and investigate if jabber client and deployment cover all customer's needs.

I came accross Deployment Guide for Mobile and Remote Access - features, but i have still some doubts.

My deployment is made of MRA machines, and i'm able to login and enyoj all services from the internal network and from the internet.

Now i would like to understand if the following features are also doable, by examples:

- suppose end user connected to a voice call via jabber for windows laptop in the internal network, and while connected has to move from its room. He should be able to switch the call from jabber windows to his jabber smartphone without loosing voice, shouldn't he?

- Jabber end user should be able to search contacts (let's say by UDS), but should see only presence status of predefined contacts. Is it possible to configure presence groups in IM&P ? is it expected to work if the jabber end user is outside lan (mra)?

thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

UDS has no SearchBase parameters, once again, UDS is a FLAT directory, everyone is in the same bucket with no distinction of where they came from in LDAP.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

Yes, but that would have to be configured for every client as that is not something you can configure at the admin level.

If you're looking for that, you'd need a 3rd party compliance server with such feature.

That would not prevent them from searching though.

HTH

java

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't believe the transfer would be seamless as you expect (or even possible), I would test that scenario to confirm. 

Yes, over MRA you default to UDS, if you're running CSR 11.5 then you can also configure UDS to proxy the directory requests to LDAP. There is nothing different regarding the contact status visibility over MRA.

If you're looking for some kind of ethical wall to prevent communication, or seeing the presence of someone, that is not built into IM&P. Currently that configuration is defined per user, not at admin level.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

yes please, a confirm will be very appreciated.

Are you asking Jaime to test that scenario?  I think he might have been meaning for you to test it to confirm.

My missunderstand, i'll keep this topic updated.

thanks

I'm going to try "Move to Mobile" for iphone and android:

"Users can transfer an active VoIP call from Cisco Jabber to their mobile phone number on the mobile network.
This feature is useful when a user on a call leaves the Wi-Fi network (for example, leaving the building to walk out to the car), or if there are voice quality issues over the Wi-Fi network"

and DVO-R for MRA users.

Now my question is on "contact search" when MRA is employed.

The requirement is "users belonging to the same Active Directory Group or Active Directory OU (one exclude the other) can find each other while searching contacts, but they cannot find others". I enabled "LDAP Search for enterprise users through UDS" under LDAP Search Configuration, and i can see MRA users are able to find all contacts specified in "LDAP User Search Base". But is it also possible to narrow the search based on the above requiremet? If so, which are the steps to reach the requirement?

regards

You would need to either configure LDAP filters or move the users to a single OU they can look at, the problem is that you can only configure one LDAP search config, and that would be applicable to ALL users.

UDS would be the same, as it's flat directory.

HTH

java

Thanks Jaime,

what about "Cisco Support Field" at device level instead? Do you think i can narrow each user's search by cutomizing jabber-config.xml for each user\device?

I'm trying to do it, but i cannot discriminate the search? This is a piece of customized jabber for an end user:

<Directory>
   <DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType>
   <SearchBase1>ou=Team,dc=domain,dc=com</SearchBase1>
   <UdsPhotoUriWithToken>http://</UdsPhotoUriWithToken>
 </Directory>

i want the user to find only users contained in the "Team" OU.

UDS has no SearchBase parameters, once again, UDS is a FLAT directory, everyone is in the same bucket with no distinction of where they came from in LDAP.

HTH

java

Jaime,

thanks for your advices, just last question: Is in roadmap for MRA to be able to search contacts in the above explained?

regards

Roadmap items are NDA material and as such, cannot be discussed in a public forum.

If you're a partner, you can try the partner communities, or, reach out to your SE/AM for this.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

fortunately i can reach this customer's requirement by setting "Privacy" on jabber client, this gives me the opportunity to block presence status lookups and chat from unwanted people, so maybe my request about firewalling contact search was inappropriate.

thanks again for support.

regards

Yes, but that would have to be configured for every client as that is not something you can configure at the admin level.

If you're looking for that, you'd need a 3rd party compliance server with such feature.

That would not prevent them from searching though.

HTH

java