Views
Helpful
Replies

CMS on 3rd Party Server: CPU and RAM Resources

r.rung
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

i have 3 Cisco Meeting Server vm's (2 as a CallBridge/WebBridge/XMPP Cluster and one only as DB).

so for the CMS-DB most things are clear: According to https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-cisco-meeting-server.html this one needs 8 GB Ram and 8 vCPUs.

for the other CMS Server i want to allow 10 HD calls on every Server.

now According to https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-cisco-meeting-server.html  i would need:

4+ (1 vCPU per 1.25 HD ports)

4+ GB (1 per physical core)

4 + 8 = 12 vCPU and 4 + 6 (2VCPU = 1 physical Core when hyperthreading enabled) = 10 GB

now when i read the most current Cisco-Meeting-Server-2-0-Installation-Guide-for-Virtualized-Deployments.pdf i see under

2.1.2 Host requirements for the Cisco Meeting Server as a VM deployment

Table 2: Recommended Core VM configurations

the last example is for 15 HD Ports i Need:

Single Intel E5-2640v2 = 16 vCPU, 8 GB Ram

let's say i put the CMS vm on this Server, whatever i calculate here it makes no sense

when i have the requirements in mind (for example:

pinning of all VMs on the host to specific cores and giving the Meeting Server sole use of

the assigned cores, and in addition, leaving a physical core with no VMs pinned to it for the

hypervisor.)  So with this CPU i get 14(because 1 physical core for vmware ESXi) * 1,25 = 17,4 HD Ports, but for this i would Need 4 +7 = 11 GB Ram for the vm according to the web link above.

so this is really confusing.

so my questions:

1. how much vCPU and vRAM does CMS Need for 10 HD Calls (3rd Party Server, Hyperthreading enabled)

2. is there any command where i can see how much HD Calls is the CMS allowing from a Hardware perspective?

3. Why is on Hyper-V a Reservation and on VMWare a pinning of the CPU Ressources?

According to VMware a Reservation would make more sense for optimizing CPU delays.

1 Reply 1

r.rung
Level 1
Level 1
and one more Thing: if i use one of the cms only for the db, there is no Need for cpu pinning right?