cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber finds both primary and IPCC extensions (for some users)

wieland.cd
Level 1
Level 1

We've using CUCM 9.1.1 / UCCX 9.0.2 / IM & Presence (CUPS?) 9.1.1

I have 30 UCCX call centre staff defined and I use EM profiles to control access to their IPCC extensions... in which case their IPCC is listed first then their personal line.  5 of them seem to have the following problem, I've scoured through the settings but can't find the source of the problem.  

When they receive a CC call they are getting the 'small caller-id' Jabber pop up at the bottom right asking if they want to answer the call.  This is NOT the large conversation window pop up that we've been able to suppress since Jabber 10.5(?).  If they click that answer button instead of the button in CAD (Cisco Agent Desktop) it messes up the call pickup (we're not using Finesse yet).  An additional symptom is that when you search the name of these 5 users in Jabber it returns an entry for their personal line AND an entry for their IPCC line. 

I've scoured through comparing settings with users that don't have this problem can't figure out why only these 5 users are affected.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I hope you are using Jabber in softphone mode and not in deskphone mode since that is not supported. Also, all the call control should happen through CAD and not on the phone itself. Since Jabber can also control a phone using CTI and same job is also done by CAD hence the idea is to let CAD control the device Jabber in this case using CTI and not the other way.

Regards

Deepak

Clarification ... We're using Jabber strictly for IM, we're not using the softphone capabilities.  The contact centre users all have Cisco 7942 phones.  Thus I don't see how softphone/deskphone mode would come into play here and don't recall coming across related settings.

Only 5 of 30 users are affected and as far as I can tell everyone is setup identically, but they must not be.  There is something I'm missing ... I suspect something in how an extension is associated with a user and in turn associated with Jabber.

This happens typically when a user is working remotely, not when they are in the office.

What Deepak means by deskphone vs softphone mode is, whether or not Cisco Jabber is able to control your phone from the client (aka deskphone mode). By default, running Cisco Jabber in deskphone mode includes the annoying pop-ups you referenced above. Within the jabber-config file, this is commonly called "Window Behaviours". The exact name of this parameter might be CTIWindowBehaviour but refer to the CUPC 9.1 Parameters Reference Guide for additional info if you want to disable this feature.

Honestly, it sounds like agents ARE running in deskphone mode. Otherwise, agents wouldn't get these pop-ups generated by Jabber. Plus, I believe CTI Control (i.e. "Allow Control of Device from CTI") should be enabled by default on most devices as well as on the agent's User Device Profiles (UDP) - IPCC Extensions and any other DN associated with the agent. You can either;

1. Simply disable CTI Control for these users, or

2. Create another jabber-config file, give it a different name, change the mode to softphone, upload this xml file to the TFTP server, reference this xml file under the 'Customer Support Use' field within the device. If needed, you can create an CSF device per agent and reference the xml file under this device. Ask agents to change the device type within Jabber (i.e. bottom left phone/computer icon) from "Use my phone for calls" to "Use my computer for calls". This causes Jabber to reference the new jabber-config file.

As far as searching for these agents via Jabber and the search results rendering both numbers... most likely, this problem is not related to UC. Jabber gathers contact information from LDAP or CUCM. That depends on the 'Directory Service Type' within the jabber-config file; BDI, EDI or UDS. If you didn't specify a service type, the default is BDI. You can modify the attribute mappings by logging into IM&P Admin and looking under Application > Client Settings. Just a side note, I am running v10.5.2. I believe the layout is roughly the same.

I don't know how you guys configured or deployed IM&P/Jabber but by design, Cisco Jabber displays the primary extension as Work. Otherwise, additional contact information is referenced as attributes under the Client Settings page, or as parameters within the jabber-config file, or as sync'd attributes from CUCM (via LDAP).

*** MOST LIKELY, the agent has a different number listed in Active Directory. If you look at the agent's End User profile, is the Home Number different than the primary extension? If so, then ask the agent to update their contact information. Good luck.

Mark, that's some good details for me to check out.  Unfortunately in version 9.x that menu doesn't exist I can't modify the attribute mappings so easily.  I believe in 9.x I could only find roll your own xml and put it on the tftp server manually.  That's why I did duplicate entries in AD instead, easier at the time (see below).

I will go through your other suggestions and post back updates later.  It's probably going to take a while and this is kinda low priority as they can still work, just have to not click on the wrong button.

General Update...

Previously I only checked one user's extension in AD, I went back and checked everyone affected and they all have only the primary personal extension in two fields in AD:

1. Telephones Tab > IP phone (default CUCM pulls from)

2. General Tab > Telephone number (default that jabber pulls from, easier at the time for me to duplicate here then mess around with Jabber config xml files to change to pull from 1)

Another clue I have is that MOST of the unwanted lookups in Jabber have the user's name in all caps whereas the primary is not all upper.  However I am getting the feeling that the duplicate entries in Jabber lookup may be a red herring.  The primary problem is the pop-up when they get a call on their 75xx CC number. I'm going to go back and survey all the users to see if they have BOTH problems or just one.

wieland.cd
Level 1
Level 1

Solution ... or more accurately root cause discovered.

The users in question were calling from their secondary line and Jabber was caching that information.  That is why only some users displayed two extensions in separate entries when looking them up in Jabber.