cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows feature request

mulkeyinc
Level 1
Level 1

Since migrating from CUPC to Jabber several of our users have complained about the notification sound for instant messages is too low and hard to hear. I tried to replace the imAlert.wav file Jabber uses with the older im.wav from CUPC by renaming the CUPC file to the same name as Jabber and overwriting the file located in <Program Files>\Cisco Systems\CiscoJabber\Sounds\. When testing with the overwrittten file when receiving IMs the sound notification is very distorted and doesn't sound as it should so replacing the file isn't a viable workaround.

Would it be possible to allow users to add their own .wav files for sound notifications under options in a future release?

11 Replies 11

Mark Congiusta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Aaron,

Allowing users to specify and customize alert sounds is indeed a roadmap item. Depending on prioritization this should come sometime in the first half of 2013.

Thanks.

Mark

Great, thanks for the reply.

What happened to the promise of "this should come sometime in the first half of 2013?" For such a simple matter, Jabber is again very disappointing.

Wake up and check your competitors on the IM market or does Cisco even care?

Registered here just to post this and I'm glad I'm not the only one.   As a telecommuter who's forced to use this version it drives me  absolutely nuts.  I've tried everything on my own to fix this but I'm  left with this unnerving distorted static sound.  I absolutely have to  have an audible alert in case I'm in another room.   It's like nails on a chalkboard every time someone IMs me.  Even with my  laptop hooked up to big external speakers cranked all the way up I can  barely if ever hear the default alert sound.

Sad that such a simple request goes ignored.

Our organization just migrated to Jabber and I'm very disappointed in the lack of options regarding notifications.  At this point I'm going to look for ANY alternative and suggest we go back to the previous IM client we used.

kapaul
Level 1
Level 1

I waited to upgrade my Webex Connect IM on my laptop due to concerns with the new Jabber.  Now, I wish I could just go back!  I hate the audible alert sound - I agree with all the posters here.  It is an annoying sound, almost sounds like someone cracking an egg on the edge of a bowl and plopping the yolk against the inside of the bowl.  AWFUL!  Everytime I hear it - yes - it's like nails on a chalkboard.  In my executive assistant role, supporting a large department and several high level managers, IM is a godsend to this multi-tasker.  Unfortunately, it is now an added stresser when you can't move about the immediate area & feel confident you will hear the alert and be on top of the needs of the department as before.  I may try to uninstall the new Jabber and reinstall the old version until this is resolved. 

Would someone please post an UPDATE on when the changes will occur to choose another audible alert .wav

clavende
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi all,

I've posted the design proposal the UX team are working on for Chat notifications here -

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-38557

I have some specific areas that would be great to get some feedback on.

Regards

Candice Lavender

Interaction designer, User Experience

Access to your document seems to be restricted.  I get an unauthorized error when I try to view it.

Hi John,

The Jabber EAP forum (which is being run as part of the Collaboration User Group forum) can be accessed by subscription-only but the good news is anyone can join!

Users with customer (external) CCO accounts can sign up here: www.cisco.com/go/cug

Users with employee (internal) CCO accounts, in your case, can use the following:www.cisco.com/web/go/eap

Regards

Candice Lavender

Interaction designer, User Experience

Candice, I created a CCO account as you suggested.  I still got the unauthorized access message when trying to access your deisgn proposal at the following link, shared previously in this thread: https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-38557.

The error message is "Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here."

Thanks for any assistance.

Hi,

You can gain access to the document once you sign up at this link:

www.cisco.com/web/go/cug/

If you require any more assistance please let us know.

Kind regards

Candice

Interaction designer, User experience