cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber on Windows Phones?

cackerson1
Level 1
Level 1

Any news on when and if Cisco will release a Jabber client for Windows Phones? 

What about a version of Anyconnect for Windows Phones?

Seems to me if they want to grow market share vs Lync they should target the Windows Phone.

24 Replies 24

Please get the plans changed.  We need a universal app for Windows 10 PC and mobile.

It look like MS made it fairly easy to port iOS and Android over to Windows 10.

See here

Universal Windows Platform Bridges - Windows app development

and here

Windows Bridges for iOS - Windows app development

I think this is sort sighted of Cisco.  Many enterprises are looking to Windows 10 mobiles for corporate use.  If Jabber doesn't play on that OS then Enterprises will simply switch to MS Lync/Skype for Business which is far better than Jabber anyway.  I think unless it is there soon you will lose a lot of business.  Waiting to see the uptake will be too late, you will have already lost the business and it will be almost impossible to get it back.

mschmidtwest
Level 1
Level 1

On a positive note, there is now a Spark app for Windows Phone:

Cisco Spark – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store

Hoping a Jabber app can't be far behind!

rgnelson
Level 1
Level 1

I would love to see Jabber on Windows Phone 10 - in fact, it is the only item left that would prevent me from using the platform for 'work'

It wouldn't even have to be full Jabber feature set. IM only would be fine.

I keep seeing answer posted, "No plans at this time, use Spark"

Spark is not an answer for folks that are Jabber onprem.

louissimonetti
Level 1
Level 1

I mean it cannot be that difficult to enable presence and SIP communications, the phone features are probably not needed for most people.  If you don't add jabber to Windows Mobile, then please remove the marketing "On Any Device" because that is a lie, and could get you in legal issues.

Henning Bohlken
Level 1
Level 1

Jerry Bakels, you are so right! The IOS Bridge is done for Win 10 Mobile developing. You can easily port IOS Apps to Win 10 Mobile.

Please change the plans and have a look into it, should be easily done for the developers at Cisco.

Would be so great to have the same app on Win 10, Win 10 Mobile and maybe also Xbox One. Xbox One with Kinect could be used for video (conference) calls.

I don't know why Cisco doesnt see the oppertunity in this?!

aiasurety
Level 1
Level 1

Microsoft Lync might be the way to go as it's supported on all 3 platforms. Apple, Computer, iPhone, iPads, Android Phone / Tablets, and Windows Phone / Tablets / Computers.

I had a pretty great argument about why Lync isn't a thing, and how Spark isn't either... But instead, I've got a personal use story about Windows universal apps.

I recently bought a new personal use laptop and of course it was pre-loaded with Windows 10. Browsing around in the app store, I ended up downloading a couple to just play with. Facebook and Netflix.... I was pretty smug, trying to figure out why in the world I would want one of these silly apps instead of just using the browser.

Yeah, well, its because they work like apps. On the computer. Same as the phone/tablet. Netflix stays open at the bottom, paused and ready to resume. No browser timeouts, no losing tabs, none of that. Same with FB. The beauty is the apps weren't designed for my PC.

Microsoft had developed this generations eco system completely around universal apps, it is a strength of the whole system, not just a platform. So what if in 5 years they decide Windows Phone isn't profitable enough and either sell it or spin it off. The universal apps will still work.

g-novak
Level 1
Level 1

So it's 2016 and no movement on this issue. Our Jabber implementation is done, though we hit quite a few speedbumps along the way. It seems Jabber isn't quite the seamless install that Cisco indicated. Add up integration time required to make presence work and it is far from free. Throw in WebEx licensing and you find out why more businesses are looking at Skype.

Yes, nothing is free and Skype/Lync have issues as well; but at least those are developing products lines.

Cisco follows a "dominate or die" product model (Chambers announced this years ago). Any product has a limited time to achieve market place dominance or Cisco cuts the funding. Remember the Cius, Flip Video or Cisco consumer grade products? I'm not saying Jabber is dead, but it is supposed to be available on any platform and Windows phones have been around for a long time. That tells me something has gone off the rails at Jabber HQ.

In fact, I bet no one from Cisco even responds to this thread. If so, it will be a canned answer stating "no plans at this time".

This really means "no one there to answer the question", because all the original Jabber programmers are gone. It's just an app looking for a place to die and Microsoft is happy to oblige. Our Microsoft account team is here at least once a week showing our execs the beauty and ease of Skype/Lync. Our Cisco team? Still trying to push SDN and Cloud services.