Views
Helpful
Replies

sharing smart account tokens with devices not in your organization

Ammar Saood
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Team,

Is it possible to share your smart account token with the devices that are not part of your organization.

Scenario is:

Lets say, person A has some ISR router, he upgraded it to an IOS version that supports smart licensing. He then asks his friend who works in a company B, and has access to generate a a smart account token. 

Can person A use that token and register his device with Company B's smart account and use their features such as CUBE and other licenses?

I am not talking about legality here. I mean is it doable or not? 

Does smart account verify if the SN was originally purchased under Company B or not?.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

AFAIK there is no verification of product instances that connects to a virtual account in Smart Licensing. So in theory what you ask about should work. However I’m questioning why any company would be willing to do this as they’d be giving away licenses to an outside party and also likely be in breach of the licenses agreement with Cisco.

Response Signature

I had tested this on CUCM  12.5 and it worked . As @Roger Kallberg mentioned, at present  it  doesn't see the SN or domain's. But in future releases Cisco may introduce restrictions to avoid the scenarios which you mentioned.

Response Signature

Ammar Saood
Spotlight
Spotlight

Thank you guys for confirmation. 

It can be helpful sometimes from a partner's perspective where customer licensing order will take some time and you want to start ASAP.

Secondly, for Lab purposes, may be you want to spin up a temporary VM for testing, and do not want to go through DEMO licensing process.

3rd, if you want to try and test a licensed feature on products such as CUBE, CMS, or expressway RMS, to see how it behaves in production. 

Please do note that you have a grace period for anything that you run in unlicensed mode. This should likely be adequate to run a demo or evaluate a feature that you do not have a license for. This should also likely cover the case for a customer where the licensing process takes a bit of time. In short there should be very few occasions where you are in a need to borrow licenses from another organisation smart account.

Response Signature

License delivery is faster than the hardware. And Nowadays hardware delivery ETA  is 6-12 months.

With smart license enabled  you get 90 days evaluation period for most devices.

Response Signature

@Nithin Eluvathingal wrote:

License delivery is faster than the hardware. And Nowadays hardware delivery ETA  is 6-12 months.

With smart license enabled  you get 90 days evaluation period for most devices.

We've seen a lot of delays in SaaS orders, including Flex.  In some cases Cisco Licensing will issue a 180 day (or something) temporary licence if they can see the Sales Order going through provisioning, in other cases they have declined.