cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spark vs. Webex video... has anyone else noticed a resolution difference?

isjonathan
Level 1
Level 1

when using Spark video call with a peer im noticing graininess but when we move to webex its alot more clear. Does anyone know why this is? im guessing its a function of Spark being able to do more than webex so perhaps some bandwidth is saved/allocated for those purposes even if not used?

thoughts?

5 Replies 5

Lokesh Kumar Lal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is it a spark client  to spark client Video call or some Video device ? Do you have Spark Cloud or Hybrid infrastructure?

For Client

Test connection and send feedback with your email address

For devices such as SX 10

Try the spark extended logging and test again .

https://cisco-support.webex.com/guest/articles/en_US/Usability_FAQs/WBX000020358/myr=false

Regards,
Lokesh K. Lal
Engineering Product Manager
Cisco Systems Inc.

Please don't forget to rate useful posts

Hi Lokesh and thank you for your response!

This was a spark session between 2 pcs using the Spark application over the web. We currently have no Spark specific hardware.

We noticed that when video calling over Spark, the picture was a bit grainy but when we switched over to webex, the video was much better (and had an HD icon in the upper left hand corner)

I will google and see if there is any logging information I can gather with this setup since we are only currently using the Spark app.

Im not too familiar with the product yet so I apologies if my responses are incomplete.

Thank you!

Jonathan

jzegadlo@acadiatech.com

Jonathan

One option is to look at hybrid media services. It is free for Spark customers and may not be justified for a small number of users since the VM foot print is close to 46 v CPU but if you install that server on premises and two spark clients want to audio/video calling, instead of sending the streams to the cloud, the traffic is kept local

https://help.webex.com/community/cisco-cloud-collab-mgmt/content?filterID=contentstatus[published]~tag[hybrid+media+service]

Cisco Hosted Collaboration Solution (HCS) - Cisco Spark Hybrid Media Service - Cisco

Hi Jonathan,

Kindly make a test and send us feedback with your spark email address

Help -> support -> send feedback.

Regards,
Lokesh K. Lal
Engineering Product Manager
Cisco Systems Inc.

Please don't forget to rate useful posts

isjonathan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just a quick update on this as per some training i attended recently where I had an opportunity to speak with a few of the Cisco guys that drive Spark. The current video quality discrepancy between Spark video calls/1 to 1 meetings and Webex is because Webex has adopted the use of the Movi codec where as Spark has not as of yet.

Apparently there are a lot of changes happening to Spark... Ive been told that we can expect many new features (and updates of existing ones) in the future as the initiative grows.

Regards,

jonathan