cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 12.5.1 ES33 removes log4j.jar

humayunsami
Level 1
Level 1

I have an application which uses custom java code. For the application we are using Cisco general Log4j for logging purposes and is embedded in the application handler to generate logs.

After the patch is applied, the Log4j file gets  moved from C:\Cisco\CVP\VXMLServer\Common\lib to C:\Cisco\CVP\VXMLServer\Common\lib\LOG4J_CVP_BACKUP.

Due to above when I release and deploy the application it returns error and the application is not started. I understand that Log4j had vulnerability in the past and everyone was asked to upgrade but seems like Cisco is removing Log4j from its code completely. Does anyone has more details around it plus what to use as its replacement for logging purposes?

Error log:
Error with admin service startup,01/24/2023 00:17:59.506,Could not create an instance of on start application class abc.xyz.handlers.ApplicationStartHandler. This error has not affected the deployment or update of the application. The error was: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/PropertyConfigurator
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/PropertyConfigurator
                at abc.xyz.xyz.XYZ.<init>(xyz.java:29)
                at abc.xyz.handlers.ApplicationStartHandler.onStartApplication(ApplicationStartHandler.java:42)
                at com.audium.server.controller.AudiumServerConfiguration.runOnStartAppClasses(AudiumServerConfiguration.java:845)
                at com.audium.server.controller.AudiumServerConfiguration.initialize(AudiumServerConfiguration.java:1119)
                at com.audium.server.controller.AudiumServerConfiguration.initializeAll(AudiumServerConfiguration.java:985)

I donā€™t see any documents where Cisco is recommending to use 3rd party library vs JAVA libraries. Any documentation available where they say the libraries will change/move and application should not rely on them?

P.S: It fixes the problem after I move the file back to C:\Cisco\CVP\VXMLServer\Common\lib but looks like its not Cisco recommended anymore.

1 Reply 1

cmortens00
Level 1
Level 1

We just installed 12.5.1 ES33 once rebooted, none of our applications would start.  GlobalErrorLogger shows.  java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Logger