Views
Helpful
Replies

CVP 12.5 Enabling SSL for JMX

jvanderwood
Level 1
Level 1

Software: CVP 12.5 (no E.S.)

I've found myself a bit stumped following the steps outlined in Chapter 17 "Unified CVP Security" of the CVP 12.5 Configuration Guide. In particular, I am struggling with 'Secure JMX Communication between OAMP and Call Server using Mutual Authentication'.

I have completed all the steps using an Internal CA (Microsoft Certificate Authority). Everything is fine until I change the config files for jmx_*.conf to com.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl.need.client.auth = true. I rebooted afterward rather than worry about restarting the processes.

At that point, the OAMP Control Center flags the device as Unreachable. This is a labonly configuration (which I hope isn't the issue because it seemed like an all in one box would be a lot easier to learn on than multiple boxes). I believe the OAMP log messages here reflect this issue:

4: 192.168.223.20: Aug 04 2020 08:22:10.522 -0700: %CVP_12_5_OAMP-3-OAMP_OMGR_JMX_CONNECTION_ERROR: Unable to establish JMX connector to URI service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://192.168.223.20:2099/jmxrmi: error during JRMP connection establishment; nested exception is:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: certificate_unknown [id:7513]

The CSR was generated with the FQDN as the CN.

I also completed the 'Generate CA-Signed Client Certificate for WSM' in case it was related.

The only steps not done were:

1) The Regedit steps as the installer apparently already took care of those. I confirmed the password matched the one int he properties file.

2) The note about importing cacerts into .keystore. I did a compare of the certs in each file and while there were a few in cacerts that were not in .keystore they were all external CAs and I couldn't see the relevance since I'm using an Internal CA.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Jay

3 Replies 3

Koen Van Impe
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jay,

Did you get to fixing this issue?
I'm running into a similar issue, on a full deployment in lab.

Managed to secure JMX communication by implementing certificates signed by internal CA.

It started to go wrong when enabling com.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl.need.client.auth = true

I did create a client certificate with CN=<server hostname> (not FQDN) and added that to .keystore

I had this working on v11.6, but there are some changes: orm functionality seems to be replaced by WSM, although orm config files still seem to be around.

Hope you can shed some light here!

Rgds,

Koen

Nope. I've just left:

com.sun.managment.jmxremote.ssl.needds.client.auth = false

but I do the rest of the steps. That seems sufficient to appease the PCCE validations. Is it secure? I have no idea how to ensure that, but it seems enough to keep moving.

That's too bad!

The rest of the settings do make sure communication is encrypted, but does not prevent unwanted "visitors" to connect a JConsole and start messing with settings.

I'll play around some more and let you know if I come to a solution.