Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC-EM Iwan

foysol_bgd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a quick look at the Iwan documents. http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Oct2016/CVD-IWANDeployment-2016OCT.pdf

Need some clarifications about the below questions.

1. If we think about traditional MPLS, PE-CE connections, Can both the sites have MPLS as their WAN (Primary/Secondary). How flexible is the template? I don't want to use Prime Infrastructure. Can we configure both PE and CE by APIC-EM?

2. I can see ISR 4000 models are supported. For ASR 1000x model what are the models will be supported as PE router?

3. I understand Cisco ONE license will do all the job and you don't have to pay anything after that. Am I right?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Fazlur,

There are two concepts here:

1) PnP with templates

2) IWAN app

IWAN uses PnP for deployment of a prescriptive IWAN Solution.  It uses the PnP service under the covers to deploy the branch locations.

You can also use the PnP service in APIC with templates for deployments too... lots of people are using PnP. 

Yes CSR is supported with PnP (and templates).

Let me know if i have misunderstood your question.

Adam

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Faziur,

#1) APIC-EM is for CE only. 

#2) You have have ASR1k for HUB.  PE is transparent.

#3) ONE licenses are meant to simplify licensing.  They are also independent of the device (so can be moved to new devices in future).  You still may incur other costs, such as support costs.

Thank you.

Is there a easy way to test out the template feature in a virtual environment.

I know I can download the APIC-EM but can I test this against CSRv in a virtual environment?

APIC-EM comes in .ova format?

My intention to have a zero touch provisioning via APIC-EM.

Hi Fazlur,

There are two concepts here:

1) PnP with templates

2) IWAN app

IWAN uses PnP for deployment of a prescriptive IWAN Solution.  It uses the PnP service under the covers to deploy the branch locations.

You can also use the PnP service in APIC with templates for deployments too... lots of people are using PnP. 

Yes CSR is supported with PnP (and templates).

Let me know if i have misunderstood your question.

Adam

you understood my questions perfectly.

IWAN app have some prescriptive solution. I had a look and IWAN solution did not cater my needs (Both CE running MPLS).

PnP with templates is the only way to go.

I will give APIC-EM a go in GNS3 with CSRv routers. Is Cisco have anything already setup in the LAB (or Cloud) for public to check this out?

Hi Fazlur,

I had a look and IWAN solution did not cater my needs (Both CE running MPLS).

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by this, but APIC-EM's IWAN app supports up to 4 SPs and any combination of WAN links (you can have 4 MPLS links, 4 internet links or any mix of MPLS and internet).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Nuno

Excellent news @Nuno I will look more detail. Is this the right document for iWAN app.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Oct2016/CVD-IWANDeployment-2016OCT.pdf

I believe section Deploying Multiple WAN Transports- page 222 is the right place to start. Am I right? any other documents or guides will be great to understand the bigger picture and low level details.

Thank you @Aradford and I will check dcloud.

I installed APIC-EM. Looks good so far.

Now I am struggling to configure remote sites. I will open a different thread for that.

Thanks for your help on this.

Hi Fazlur,

there is an lab in dCloud for PnP.  Not sure if you have seen that?

Adam