cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Name Displayed in /Device Groups/Device Type/Unified AP/

timway001
Level 1
Level 1

After I update the name of a device with the API (/op/apService/accessPoint) the name that is displayed when I look at the device details has the old name stuck in it. It seems to update after some time and the Summary page shows the correct new name. It seems to update but I don't know what the trigger is. If there is a trigger can it be initiated manually either with the API or in the Web UI?

The controller shows the correct name as soon as the API job completes successfully.

3 Replies 3

Spencer Zier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The reason for the discrepancy is that the data shown in most places of Prime Infrastructure is persisted in the database.  So in some cases, like when a config change is made, the database may not be up-to-date.  However, some pages fetch information from the network (especially true for some of the pages for wireless management) so the information they display is up-to-date.

The system jobs listed in the job dashboard are the primary mechanism we use to update the database with the latest state of the network.  I can't remember which job updates the AP name; I think it might be Status > Lightweight AP Operational Status or maybe Inventory And Discovery Jobs > Wireless Controller Inventory.  You can trigger an immediate run or adjust the schedule of these jobs in the job dashboard.  I would note though that some of these jobs can be very intensive and consume resources (network I/O, Prime appliance CPU/mem/disk, and network device CPU/mem) so I would advise against setting all the jobs to have a very frequent schedule.

Thanks I ran every job I can see as root and it hasn't seemed to update the field in question. I also don't see any jobs named Lightweight *.

The version of Prime is 3.0

Oh, I don't have a 3.0 server handy, but I believe we still had the wireless polling under "Background Tasks" (should be under the admin menu).  We consolidated jobs and background tasks in 3.1 (it was one of the holdovers from the merge of the WCS and LMS codebases).