cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding the IP of a PnP device in a project

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

When looking at Unplanned devices, you can easily see the assigned DHCP IP for each device.

I'd like to see the equivalent in a project but I can't seem to find a way to see what IP was assigned via the Project screen.

Any pointers in the right direction would be most welcome!

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hmm... good question.

the only way i could think of doing this was via an API call.

when the device is deployed it gets added to the inventory.  You can then do a look up of the device by serial number to get the information about it's management IP address.

Using swagger..

GET https://adam-iwan/api/v1/network-device/serial-number/FDO1735Q0G5

will return

"managementIpAddress": "10.10.14.3",

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hmm... good question.

the only way i could think of doing this was via an API call.

when the device is deployed it gets added to the inventory.  You can then do a look up of the device by serial number to get the information about it's management IP address.

Using swagger..

GET https://adam-iwan/api/v1/network-device/serial-number/FDO1735Q0G5

will return

"managementIpAddress": "10.10.14.3",

So feature request:

It would be very useful to display the management IP (as it does in the Unplanned screen) and it would also be very useful to pull this information easily so as to build say a host file in Ansible.  I'll look pulling that out of the inventory via the API in the meantime! 

Just need to be careful with this.

The IP address can be (and often is) overwritten in the config.  For example, many people will have a range of DHCP addresses for the device to boot initially, then give it a static address during the PnP provisioning.

We show the IP address for unclaimed devices as it helps people with device identification, but it is the initial IP address the device used to contact the controller, not the final address that was provisioned.

I think a more robust approach is to use inventory API.  When a device is successfully provisioned, it will be added to inventory.  That ip address will be more accurate.

Adam

Got it..and yes...I totally get the issue with the IPs!  I'll focus on the inventory.

- Thanks!