Views
Helpful
Replies

Locations AND Tags in Topology

Nathan Sowatskey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

It seems to me that one can work with locations for a device, and so see a device on a geographical map in the topology view.

Or one can work with tags on a device, but no location, and so search for them in a topology view without geographical maps.

It is not clear that one can have a location, and so see a geographical map for topology, AND also search for, or see, device tags in topology.

Have I missed something here please?

Many thanks

Nathan

4 Replies 4

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nathan,

In this doc - Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Enterprise Module Configuration Guide, Release 1.3.x - Managing Devi… its mentioned that

Use the following guidelines when adding location tags:

• Location tag information is maintained on the controller only and not deployed to or dirived from the device itself.
  • When location tags and markers are used, the Topology window displays them on a geographical map.
  • A location defined on the controller is not the "civic-location" property that some devices support.
  • Location tags cannot be attached to hosts.
  • You can apply only one location tag to a device. However, you can use both a location tag and a device tag together.

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Geevarghese

Thank you for following up.

The guidelines are interesting.

The root of the issue that I believe I am having is that there does not appear to be any way to work with tags in the Topology application when a location has been applied to a device.

When a location has been applied to a device, the Topology application shows a geographical map view. There do not appear to be any tool icons on that map view that allow one to search for tags.

In a Topology view without locations, there are tools in the top right corner that allow one to work with tags. Those tools do not seem to appear when the display has a geographical map.

Regards

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

If you click into a location, you should be able to see the tags used on devices in that location?

Thank Adam.

If you click on a device in a geographical view, you get the logical view, i.e. a view that just shows the device and, presumably, other devices at that location. You can then access the tag searches and so on.

What I can’t seem to do, though, is see the tags in the geographical view.

Quite specifically, I can’t see all of the devices on a map that have a given tag. That would seem to me to be a common use of tags.

Regards

Nathan