Views
Helpful
Replies

future software upgrade procedure for Nexus 1000v

tbleise
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

for selling the Nexus 1000v to our customers it is important to know how the future software upgrade procedure for the Nexus 1000v will be. This is in order to know

- the steps involved for the network admin and server admin

- to assess how easy or complicated the upgrade procedure is

- to know if and in which cases the upgrade is nondisruptive

For example:

Will the future upgrade procedure the same as from release 4.2(1)SV1(4) to 4.2(1)SV1(4a)? If not what will be different?

Will the Pre-Upgrade Utility be required in the future?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Thorsten

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Thorsten,

Great comments.  The upgrade from 1.4x onward will be the same procedure as it was from 1.4 -> 1.4a.  As for the pre-upgrade script I will need to look into it, but I can see the upgrade script becoming an integral part of the upgrade to ensure all config and system health is ready for the process.  Now whether this script is run separately or automatically as part of a wizard is yet to be determined.  I do know our teams have made leaps & bounds improving the upgrade process.  I can only assume it will continue to improve through each version.

The biggest change was between versions 1.2 and 1.3, but going onward from 1.4 the process will be relatively the same.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

thank you for your reply!

If the upgrade process will be the same for future releases (including pre-upgrade script) that would mean that it is not intended to make the Nexus 1000v upgrade be a part of the ESX upgrade, i.e. not an upgrade in one go? I thought the plan was to integrate the Nexus 1000v upgrade files into the vSphere 5 VIB package and then upgrade the ESX hosts with the VIB (which contains both the new ESX and Nexus software) in just one step? Did I misunderstand this?

Best regards,

Thorsten