Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing license failed: License server does not support this feature

sejelmohajj
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I am getting below Error when installing licesnes in our Cisco NS-OS Switch 9300. 

sw9300# install license bootflash://s

bootflash://sup-1/       bootflash://sup-active/  bootflash://sup-local/  

sw9300# install license bootflash://sup-local/?

bootflash://sup-local/.patch                              

bootflash://sup-local/.rpmstore                            

bootflash://sup-local/20170406_071343_poap_15414_init.log 

bootflash://sup-local/MDS201811150906500010.lic           

bootflash://sup-local/home                                

bootflash://sup-local/license_FDO20380BKS_3.lic            

bootflash://sup-local/lost+found                          

bootflash://sup-local/nxos.7.0.3.I4.2.bin                 

bootflash://sup-local/nxos.7.0.3.I7.5a.bin                

bootflash://sup-local/scripts                             

bootflash://sup-local/show-tech-Leaf-I.txt.gz             

bootflash://sup-local/virtual-instance                    

sw9300# install license bootflash://sup-local/MDS201811150906500010.lic

sw9300# install license bootflash://sup-active/MDS201811150906500010.lic

sw9300#

Appreciate team Support to resolve this

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Have you changed it from ACI to NXOS? If yes, please check this: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk62202/?reffering_site=dumpcr

What is the exact model?

Please rate if you find it helpful.

Regards,
MJ

View solution in original post

Yes we changed it from ACI to NX-OS .
You mean i can use all Features avaliable without installing any licenses , please confirm...

Hi @sejelmohajj,

Yes, 9K are honor-based so even if you don't have the license installed, you can still use whatever features you want.  It might display a message warning as below, but that is not actually stopping you from configuring.

switch(config)# 2018 Sep 12 08:45:07 switch %$ VDC-1 %$ clis[28226]: !!!!!!  WARNING: 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' LICENSE NOT FOUND ON THE SYSTEM  !!!!!!. You have tried to enable a licensed feature [eigrp] without installing the 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' license, which has not been found on the system. 

2018 Sep 12 08:45:07 switch %$ VDC-1 %$ clis[28226]: System supports honor based license.Feature will be enabled and fully functional.License usage for feature will appear after license install and  a reload. 

If this was from ACI, "#show license file MDS201811150906500010.lic" should show

license name: ACI-ES-XF

Note:  ACI-ES-XF license can be used for both NX-OS and ACI mode: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html

Tier-Based Licenses

Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 7.0(3)I7(3), tier-based licensing is available for Cisco Nexus 9300, 9300-EX, 9300-FX/FX2/FXP, and 9500 platform switches. This licensing model applies to both Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) and NX-OS standalone architectures where Cisco Nexus 9000 Series switches can be deployed. For the remaining Cisco Nexus platforms, we offer only the NX-OS standalone feature set. For these switches, see Feature-Based Licenses< https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html#concept_A21339E151D445DE858588C4664277A0>;.
Tier-based licensing offers the following benefits:

* Consistency across ACI and NX-OS licensing
* A choice between perpetual or subscription-based licenses
* The simplicity of being able to purchase a group of feature licenses in one of two packages: Essentials or Advantage

Bug https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk62202/?reffering_site=dumpcr is fixed in 9.2 nxos release. From 9.2 you should not see this error while installing "ACI-ES-XF" license.

Regards,

MJ

I had a similar issue. It turned out that the license that was sent to me included features that were not available because of my switch configuration. I was using the switch in NX-OS mode but the license also included ACI features. By removing the ACI features the license was able to be installed. Here is my example:

License file

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
INCREMENT LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \
VENDOR_STRING=<LIC_SOURCE>MDS_SWIFT</LIC_SOURCE><SKU>N93-LAN1K9=</SKU> \
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXX \
NOTICE="<LicFileID>xxxxxx</LicFileID><LicLineID>1</LicLineID> \
<PAK></PAK>" SIGN=xxxxxxx
INCREMENT LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \
VENDOR_STRING=<LIC_SOURCE>MDS_SWIFT</LIC_SOURCE><SKU>N93-BAS1K9</SKU> \
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXXX \
NOTICE="<LicFileID>xxxxxxx</LicFileID><LicLineID>2</LicLineID> \
<PAK></PAK>" SIGN=xxxxxx

I removed everything after the increment and installed the following:

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXX \

I removed any identifying markers from the file so your actual license file will not have the "xxxxx". If your file only contains:

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
INCREMENT NXOS_ESSENTIALS_XF cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \

then you should be ok when using it on NXOS platform.

5 Replies 5

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Have you changed it from ACI to NXOS? If yes, please check this: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk62202/?reffering_site=dumpcr

What is the exact model?

Please rate if you find it helpful.

Regards,
MJ

Yes we changed it from ACI to NX-OS .
You mean i can use all Features avaliable without installing any licenses , please confirm...

Hi @sejelmohajj,

Yes, 9K are honor-based so even if you don't have the license installed, you can still use whatever features you want.  It might display a message warning as below, but that is not actually stopping you from configuring.

switch(config)# 2018 Sep 12 08:45:07 switch %$ VDC-1 %$ clis[28226]: !!!!!!  WARNING: 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' LICENSE NOT FOUND ON THE SYSTEM  !!!!!!. You have tried to enable a licensed feature [eigrp] without installing the 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' license, which has not been found on the system. 

2018 Sep 12 08:45:07 switch %$ VDC-1 %$ clis[28226]: System supports honor based license.Feature will be enabled and fully functional.License usage for feature will appear after license install and  a reload. 

If this was from ACI, "#show license file MDS201811150906500010.lic" should show

license name: ACI-ES-XF

Note:  ACI-ES-XF license can be used for both NX-OS and ACI mode: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html

Tier-Based Licenses

Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 7.0(3)I7(3), tier-based licensing is available for Cisco Nexus 9300, 9300-EX, 9300-FX/FX2/FXP, and 9500 platform switches. This licensing model applies to both Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) and NX-OS standalone architectures where Cisco Nexus 9000 Series switches can be deployed. For the remaining Cisco Nexus platforms, we offer only the NX-OS standalone feature set. For these switches, see Feature-Based Licenses< https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html#concept_A21339E151D445DE858588C4664277A0>;.
Tier-based licensing offers the following benefits:

* Consistency across ACI and NX-OS licensing
* A choice between perpetual or subscription-based licenses
* The simplicity of being able to purchase a group of feature licenses in one of two packages: Essentials or Advantage

Bug https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk62202/?reffering_site=dumpcr is fixed in 9.2 nxos release. From 9.2 you should not see this error while installing "ACI-ES-XF" license.

Regards,

MJ

Thanks, We are using below models
ciscoNexusC93180YC-EX
ciscoNexusC93180YC-EX
cisco Nexus9000 C93108TC-EX
cisco Nexus9000 C9504
cisco Nexus9000 C9504
cisco Nexus9000 C9504
cisco Nexus9000 C9504
cisco Nexus9000 93180YC-EX
cisco Nexus9000 93180YC-EX

I had a similar issue. It turned out that the license that was sent to me included features that were not available because of my switch configuration. I was using the switch in NX-OS mode but the license also included ACI features. By removing the ACI features the license was able to be installed. Here is my example:

License file

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXX \
INCREMENT LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \
VENDOR_STRING=<LIC_SOURCE>MDS_SWIFT</LIC_SOURCE><SKU>N93-BAS1K9</SKU> \
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXXX \
NOTICE="<LicFileID>xxxxxxx</LicFileID><LicLineID>2</LicLineID> \
<PAK></PAK>" SIGN=xxxxxx

I removed everything after the increment and installed the following:

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
HOSTID=VDH=XXXXXX \

I removed any identifying markers from the file so your actual license file will not have the "xxxxx". If your file only contains:

SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
INCREMENT NXOS_ESSENTIALS_XF cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \

then you should be ok when using it on NXOS platform.