cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-NIC vMotion with 1000v and UCS

workman.matt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding multi-nic vMotion and the Nexus 1000v. I know how this would be configured using standard or regular distributed switch in vCenter. I would create a two vMotion vmkernel ports and make vmnicX active and vmnicY standby and vice versa for the other vMotion port.

How does multi-nic vMotion work with the 1000v with Cisco UCS in mind? Our hosts have 2 vNICs (1 on each side of the fabric).

3 Replies 3

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Shouldn't be a difference. You would simply use pinning to make sure vmnicX goes up link 0 and vmnicY goes up link 1.

So on the N1KV you would create an uplink port-profile that does VPC mac pinning

port-profile type ethernet Uplink-PP

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan all

no shut

vmware port-group

channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning

state enable

Then create two port-profiles for your vmnics

port-profile type veth vmnicX

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan X

no shut

vmware port-group

pinning-id 0

state enabled

port-profile type veth vmnicY

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan Y

no shut

vmware port-group

pinning-id 1

state enabled

That's it. I would read up on VPC MAC-Pinning port-channels, but it's pretty easy.

louis

Our hosts have two NICs for all traffic.So access mode for them would not work. Also, both vMotion ports would use the same VLAN.

The eth uplink port is a trunk so that shoud work for you unless I am misunderstanding the issue.

For the veth port-profiles you can create two port-profiles with the same vlan. That's fine. The key is to make sure each port-profile pins to a different uplink. Then when you assign vnicx to port-profile-X you know that traffic is only going up that link.

Hope that helps

louis