Views
Helpful
Replies

Proposal for Cisco swotch in IDF dust exposure

abidimarou
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have been encountering a persistent dust issue with switches in my IDF despite regular cleaning and frequent replacement of filters.

Despite these efforts,dust accumulation continues to be a problem, impacting the performance and reliability of the switches.

Does anyone have any alternative solutions or recommendation for effectively managing dust in an industrial environment?

I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions you may have.

Thank you in advance for you help!

4 Replies 4

f00z
Level 3
Level 3

Cisco makes some industrial switches just for this purpose. Or you can get a cabinet with industrial zone rated air filters and fans on the cabinet.  There's a lot of solutions , trying to put filters on 1u switches is probably the most difficult of the solutions. Some of the industrial ones do not even have fans so those are good as well, depends on your need.

Thank you for your comment currently we utilize catalyste 9300-U48 Switches equiped with fans

The cabinets are also equipped with filter and fans, but unfortunately,they are not sufficient.

Every month, I perform IDF cleaning, yet the cabinet are still in a catastrophic state due to dust accumulation

Yes every month it usually has to be cleaned anyway.. check out cabinets like tripplite SR42UBEIS or dustshield enclosures.

Even those they suggest changing filter once a month. The cabinet is designed to minimize dust accumulation.  

The only other option are industrial zoned devices like cisco IE line (IE 3400 IE2000 something like that they are dustproof), or build a room around the cabinet with 2x4's and plywood  with cutouts for regular HVAC filters like 36x48" (we actually did this in a few areas it looks pretty funny but it works) 

That sounds like a good solution

Could you please provide a photo of the room with the cabinet around which the rool will be installed? Thank you