cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Discovering Stacked Switches using SNMP

rthomas2
Level 1
Level 1

We produce a monitoring / management platform which, amongst other things, talks to Cisco devices using SNMP.

In the past we've used the CISCO-STACK-MIB to discover switch configurations for 2900-series boxes etc but we're now coming across 3850 stacked switches which are a problem, for two reasons : (a) they don't conform to the usual Slot/Port model, but introduce a 'third dimension' to give a Module/Slot/Port architecture (eg an interface will be named GigabitEthernet3/1/12 for Module3, Slot 1, Port 12), and (b) they don't support the 'Stack' MIB.

My Question is - is there another SNMP MIB that the 3850-series switches support, which enables an SNMP manager to discover the structure of the device - modules, slots, ports etc, and map these to entries in the ifTable so we can check health on them ?

I've found the 'stackwise' MIB but that just gives me a list of modules with power management data etc.

Any help much appreciated...

1 Reply 1

brylevin
Level 1
Level 1

if you could run an snmpwalk on the box you have and post some of the oid's that come back (assuming that you have some of the mibs loaded) I could look in the Big Box of Cisco Mibs I have and see if those oid's are listed in my mibs.txt folder.