cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIRL and VMWare Player for Playing with OnePK, SDN Controller, etc

awilki012
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone! I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I just recently purchased VIRL and only have VMware Player. I would like for my host machine or another VM on my host to have direct access to the network equipment so I can play around with OnePK and OpenDaylight, etc.

Does VMware player allow me to do this or must I purchase VMware Workstation? My host is Windows 10.

I'm asking because I saw some disclaimers revolving around this on the VIRL website. I just want to confirm.

Regards,

Adam Wilkins

3 Replies 3

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Adam,

The VM will work with any virtualization application that supports Open Virtualization Archive (OVA) files. It has been tested against the following:

• VMWare ESXi
  • VMWare Workstation
  • VMWare Fusion
  • Oracle VirtualBox 4.2

Reference - Using the All-in-One Virtual Machine

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Thanks! That really helps!

I don't see VMWare player listed, but I can run the all-in-one VM using VirtualBox. Now, if I run the all-in-one in VirtualBox, can I get that to communicate with my VIRL VM running on VMWare Player? Or, do I need VMWare Workstation? From the documentation I read, VIRL will not run on VirtualBox, but perhaps I'm mistaken???

Regards,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Hope this url will answer your question- Cisco VIRL ALL-IN-ONE VM from devnet | Cisco Modeling Labs | Cisco Support Community | 12269101 | 12454716

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese