cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to make calls through UCM in Collaboration 10.5 Sandbox

wimichiels1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Collaboration 10.5 Sandbox lab setup and I can connect to everything via the VPN tunnel. Now I would like to connect a soft phone to the UCM and make calls.

I am brand new to the world of Telecom and Cisco, so forgive me if some of this does not make any sense !.

I connected to the Windows Server within the lab via Remote Desktop and launched the Jabber client. If I select a Cisco IM & Presence account and point it at either the Presence device or the UCM Publisher device, I receive an error that Jabber cannot communicate with the server. If I then switch it over to a Cisco Communications Manager device and point all three IP Addresses to the UCM Publisher, Jabber will authenticate correctly, but still I cannot make calls or IM's. If I look at the connection status, it reports that the Softphone is not connected and instructs me to look at the Phone Service tab of the Options window. However, the Options window does not have a Phone Services tab. Even if I could get everything hooked up, I'm still not sure I would be able to make calls because the server is not detecting my audio devices, even though I specified the pass-through settings correctly when establishing he RDP connection.

Giving up on that approach, I copied the Jabber install down to my desktop and installed it. From here, I was able to use the Cisco IP & Presence account and successfully connect to the Presence device. However, the Connection Status window still shows my Softphone as not connected, this time indicating a network problem reaching the Subscriber device. I verified that I can indeed ping the device listed in the message. I logged out and switched over to a Cisco Communications Manager account. Again I could login, but the Softphone still will not connect, indicating the same networking error.

At this point, I am totally lost. Any assistance that could be provided would be much appreciated.

28 Replies 28

jokearns1
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bill,

We are here to help.

We are looking at your issue now and verifying that jabber is functioning correctly.

What kind of testing do you need to execute? is it just Jabber Calls or something more complex?

Joe

Hi Joe,

I'm really just interested in generating all different types of usage records. I'm not particularly concerned with the technology used to generate them. We are going to be building an application to parse the records coming out of the UCM so that we can report on different usage metrics and QOS.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

If you are interested in making some calls and generating CDR records, we have a few solutions for you:

1) The Collaboration 10.5 lab you have booked now. We can get jabber calls working and generate CDRs

2) The Collaboration Endpoint lab. This is an always on lab that lets you create and register various cisco endpoints e.g. Jabber for win/mac, android etc. once these are created, you can make calls and use them at any time (no subsequent reservations through the portal are necessary). Admin access to the servers is not allowed as this is a shared environment.

3) The collaboration Plus lab: This is a dedicated collaboration lab with traffic enabled. We have a Camelot traffic generator which registers 150 SIP endpoints and makes calls. We also have two physical 7975 hardphones which can be remotely controlled using a windows application.  This is a dedicated sandbox which must be reserved

Have a look at the three options and let me know what you think

Joe

Hi Joe,

I'd really love to get my current Collaboration 10.5 lab into a working state. I've been playing around with it for nearly a week and still can't seem to get any type of softphone connected with the UCM properly. Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated.

For the Collaboration Endpoint lab, is there any way to get the CDR/CMR files FTP'ed to another server? Those are the files we will be examining to do the parsing.

In the meantime I will look into reserving the Collaboration Plus lab, so that I can experiment further with different usage types and volumes. In emails with Jacob last week, he indicated that it should be available for reservation today, so I will pursue that as well.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I am looking at your collaboration 10.5 lab now and can work with you to get it going.

Any time you have lost will be added to to your reservation.

Joe

Excellent.

Let me know if we need to setup a screen share or phone call.

Thanks so much for the assistance.

i just registered user01 over VPN.

Can you remind me what version of the Jabber client you have installed locally.

Joe

Jabber 9.6.1 Build18100.

I found the installer on the Windows Server in the lab and copied it locally.

First think we need to do is upgrade to a newer version. I will send you details on this shortly,

Joe

Bill,

Can you download and install the new jabber install from here:

Dropbox - CiscoJabber-Install-ffr.11-1-0.zip

Joe

hi,

New version of Jabber installed on directory machine. you can log into that machine and login to jabber using user01. If you see advance options, you will see that I have selected IM and Presence and set the server as "hq-cups", the hostname of the cup server.

Can you try that out? Also,when you are ready to login to jabber on your own PC, let me know. you can use user02. I am already logged in with user03 locally.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I logged into the directory machine in the lab and saw that user01 was connected and could make calls (although my audio devices aren't being seen by the VM) and send IM's. I am now ready to connect from my local machine. I tired using the same settings you outlined, using the IP address of the Presence server instead of the DNS name, and I can authenticate, but again the softphone will not connect. If I check the Connection Status window, I see this:

Reason: Connection error. Ensure the server information in the Phone Services tab on the Options window is correct. Contact your system administrator for assistance.

Address: hq-cucm-sub1.abc.inc (CCMCIP)

Bill

Bill,

Can you jump on a webex now and we can do a screen share?

https://cisco.webex.com/join/jokearns

Requested screenshot: