cancel
Visitas
ÚTIL
Respuestas

Loss of 1% ping to justify it

Alejandro A.
Level 5
Level 5

An estimated query ... I have the following problem I have 1% of lost packages and server service, I do not see that this packet loss is a problem, but I need to write a report where I can demonstrate and justify that this 1% It's not a problem for the server network, the question is?
there is some document in which you can support me to deliver this justification
Thank you

3 RESPUESTAS 3

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hola @Alejandro A.,

Query:

-Your network is data only?
-Your network has voice and video traffic?

Regards

My network is data only

Thanks You

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alejandro

It really depends on the underlay network topology. From the source of your pings towards your destination, you first need to identify which device is dropping either an ICMP request or an ICMP reply. You could start doing some pings from intermediate devices until you find one that doesn't miss any of them. After that, you can start doing some packet captures at inbound and outbound direction on the offender device.

A ping loss can be caused by a lot of reasons, processed switched packets limited by control plane policing, hardware rate-limiters, firewall policies, output drops as a result of exceeded buffer utilization in one link, etc. The important part is to figure out where is this drop taking place.