cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyone using KVM or just VMWare?

Michael Bale
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone deployed ESAv using KVM over VMWare?

If so, did you run into any problems?  
Did you use qemu-img to convert the vmdk to qcow2?

Have any issues booting root?

Anything you run into I should know?

6 Replies 6

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I do see Cisco Email Security Virtual Appliance listed with a few models under the VMWare, didn't realize it was only WSA listed under KVM.

So is it only possible to use 8.5.6 (or whatever latest public release is) on VMWare ESXi?  

Do you mean KVM support isn't available for vESA yet, but will be down the road or that VMWare isn't supported either?

Correct - Redhat KVM currently is not supported for vESA.  

Latest vESA OVF is 9.1.0-032.  It is fully usable and deployable for ESXi.  We support vESA deployed via ESX - no issues.  Deploys and runs great within VMWare environment.  I know that we have vWSA running fine w/ Redhat KVM.  I can check in w/ one fellow co-worker who was main implementor of this for WSA team to get in put for their deployment for the current vWSA.

We have worked to get the video published to YouTube, please see the following, which may help in your deployment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8MlU9ZymQ&feature=youtu.be

Thank you!

Is this currently available, or a future release?
In the beginning of the video it shows version 8.6.x and 9.0.x (9.1.x is available now, but 8.5.6 is latest in the 8 branch).

It also mentions there is a qcow2 image file, but all I see is vmdk and have to use qemu-img to convert it.

Any update on my question below?

Still having issues getting it to work on KVM