cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forward ESA Generated NDR to internal address

noelgroom
Level 1
Level 1

How can I have a copy of every NDR that our ESA send copied to an internal address for review?  I saw one post that said something about an outgoing mail filter, but NDR messages generated by ESA do not flow though the filters per the same post. 

The goal is to ultimately be able to view NDR messages without requesting them from the original sender. 

TIA

8 Replies 8

Create a bounce profile, and set it there.

Based on the gui and docs it looks like if you set it the sender may not get the bounce... test it and make sure it will do what you need.

Thanks Ken.

I see that option, but I don't want to prevent bounces to the original sender. I want to have the bounces sent to both the originator address and a specified internal address.

What I'm really looking for here is a way to be able to see reputation filtered email. Now that I've thought about it a bit more there might a different solution. Currently, our HAT is configured to reject messages with a low reputation score. Maybe the better option is to move a range of reputation filtering from HAT to an incoming content filter evaluated early in the mail policies where sender domain reputation is the condition and then I could file messages within a certain reputation score range to a specific quarantine. 

Narasimhan VS
Level 1
Level 1

I don't see any option available for the NDR which is generated by ESA appliance, as these mails will be directly sent to the mail server (recipient) without going through the email pipeline.   If you are looking to apply any action for the NDR coming from external world, those mails will not have from address and you can create content filters accordingly to identify these mails and configuration appropriate actions.  

ppreenja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hello Noel,

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to send the notification to the (Message Sender) and an (Alternate). I would like to bring to your attention that it is just possible to choose only one from the two options. In case you select either to inform the (Message Sender) or an (Alternate Address).

Please note that notifications such as bounces and alerts make use of an SMTP engine designed just to deliver these types of messages. As these messages exist outside of the processing queue, it is not possible to manipulate them further.

Regards,
Pratham

Hey Pratham,

Maybe enter that into the bug database as an enhancement request?

Ken

Hi Ken,

I can definitely check on filing an enhancement request for this feature. However, I would require the below information from your (or any customer's) end:

1. Product(s) this request or change applies towards (ESA/SMA/WSA, plug-in, etc):
2. Version of the product (AsyncOS, plug-in, etc) currently deployed:
3. Please describe how the current limitation(s) impacts business:
4. Describe how the system behavior could be enhanced, or changed, to facilitate business needs:
5. If there is a particular vision for how this would be implemented, please outline that:
6. Additional comments, suggestions:

Regards,
Pratham

1. ESA

2. I'm currently running 12.5 & 13.0 beta EFT1

3. End user gets an NDR but that data doesn't always get to the email admin, so troubleshooting it can be difficult

4. Allow NDRs to be sent to the sender AND to another mail address instead of just one or the other, so an admin/postmaster can investigate if they don't get full data from user.

5. Instead of a radio button switch to check boxes... checkbox for sending to the sender, make that the default. Another check box with a field send to other email account, allow both to be checked.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for sharing the information. Also, I will be requiring to associate a TAC case with the same as well.
Please open the same and help me with the number and I will raise the enhancement request.

Regards,
Pratham