cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to have Physical and Virtual ESA Units in same cluster?

nathan.a.reeves
Level 1
Level 1

Given the dearth of information available on the virtual appliances, anyone have any ideas if it's possible to run a Physical C160 and a C300V running the same version of ASyncOS in the same cluster.  I need to migrate from physical to virtual and was evalualting the possbilty of migrating to the C300V's from the C160's by adding a C300V to a cluster then decomissioning the C160.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nathan -

Yes.  You can, as long as the appliance and the virtual appliance are running the same AsyncOS.  The 'clusterconfig' command will operate in the exact same fashion.  You'll just need to assure that your C300V has the featurekeys loaded in order to run cluster.

-Robert

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nathan -

Yes.  You can, as long as the appliance and the virtual appliance are running the same AsyncOS.  The 'clusterconfig' command will operate in the exact same fashion.  You'll just need to assure that your C300V has the featurekeys loaded in order to run cluster.

-Robert

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.

Nathan

This is partly correct

dynamichost is different between physical and virtual appliances

update-manifests.sco.cisco.com:443 for virtual.

update-manifests.cisco.com:443 for physical

So when the virtual appliance joins the cluster it will not be able to update the definitions because it will inherit the dynamic host of the cluster config.

Right so this one setting gets a machine level setting, or a group level setting.
It can still be in a cluster.

kaizen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I also plan to make a cluster between a C195 and a c100V running 13.5.2 same patch level. Has anyone done this recently? Is the above still relevant and if there are any other machine level settings needed? Since this is a production environment with only 1 physical appliance I want to know what to expect

Regards,

K

If you use encrypted envelopes, the VM has to be registered by TAC, but the physical box can register by clicking on the button in the gui.

When I add boxes to a cluster, enable/accept eula for all of the licensed features, register them to the various cloud services (Amp,TG,SecureX/SSE,CRES) then add them to cluster.