Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Essentials License and Apple products for 802.1x

cghaderpour
Level 1
Level 1

Hello friends.

I'm working on setting up ISE on Azure for our org. we have combination of domain joined windows clients, IP phones and iPads (Apple products). I have two questions to start the process.

1- does ISE Essentials License support Apple products for 802.1X?

2- Should I go with Azure VM or Azure  Application to deploy ISE?

6 Replies 6

Essential licenses cover 802.1x features and I would go with Azure VM, but I'll this for someone else to advice.

Cisco ISE Licensing Guide - Cisco

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on use case here, hope all going to connect using Enterprise Network SSID ?

Either case ISE license support for basic stuff effential - for more options like posture and validation you need to uplift the features.

Should I go with Azure VM or Azure  Application to deploy ISE?

there is pros and cons for each deployment and depends on the need.

there is good compare :

https://karansinghreen.medium.com/azure-virtual-machine-or-azure-app-service-which-one-should-you-choose-d4ba7d4a120d

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

All trusted clients are going to join the same SSID later will add BYOD and MDM. at this point I just wanted to make sure company's iPads will be able to authenticate with ISE to join the network with Essentials license.

Thanks 

Great link provided by @balaji.bandi. Just one more thing to clarify regarding the licenses, ISE licenses are not based on the endpoint type, for instance, if you have 100 Essential licenses, and you want to enable dot1x then you can use which ever endpoint device type, Windows, Mac, iPhone, etc etc, there is no distinction in terms of licenses for the iPad devices over the other device types.

Thanks Aref!

You're welcome.