Views
Helpful
Replies

design idea - the use of SD-WAN, EVPN vs traditional method

yong khang NG
Level 5
Level 5

hi all

kinda confuse when i planning to design the on-prem DC  - DR - Public cloud connectivity.

Client background was a software house, trying to setup SAAS , with public cloud as part to the DR setup.

01. With known of the topology Onprem DC <-> DR + public cloud, do i need to invest on SD-WAN?

02. With above mentioned topology, now DC to DR just using the classic IPSec VPN, on the onprem-DC there is no spine-leaf architecture yet. But for future tech adopting of EVPN, is it correct for me just doing the border leaf a VTEP device at DC, DR and Public cloud, so i can do the VLXAN tunnel in future?

Apologize if i make everyone confuse,so do myself. I am now not sure how these 2 glue together

Hopefully you all can enlighten me with brilliant idea

Million thanks

Noel

1 Reply 1

alisha_rascon01
Level 1
Level 1

1. With the known topology of Onprem DC <-> DR + public cloud, do you need to invest in SD-WAN?

SD-WAN can be beneficial in this topology if you need to improve the performance and reliability of your network connections between the Onprem DC, DR, and public cloud. SD-WAN can help optimize traffic routing and use multiple types of connections, such as broadband, LTE, and MPLS, to create a virtual network. This can help improve network performance, enhance security, and reduce costs. If you have strict performance requirements or a large number of users accessing your SAAS solution, investing in SD-WAN may be a good idea.

2. With the above-mentioned topology, the DC to DR is just using the classic IPSec VPN, and there is no spine-leaf architecture yet. But for future tech adoption of EVPN, is it correct for you to just do the border leaf a VTEP device at DC, DR, and Public cloud so you can do the VXLAN tunnel in the future?

Yes, it is possible to do the border leaf a VTEP device at DC, DR, and public cloud so you can do the VXLAN tunnel in the future. EVPN can provide a more scalable and flexible solution than traditional VPNs, and can help create secure, isolated networks for each of your departments, business units, or customers. By adopting EVPN in the future, you can improve network performance, enhance security, and reduce costs. However, it's important to note that you'll need to have the right network architecture in place to support EVPN, such as a spine-leaf architecture, which you mentioned is not currently in place.

Overall, investing in SD-WAN and adopting EVPN in the future can both be beneficial for your network connectivity between the Onprem DC, DR, and public cloud. However, it's important to carefully consider your specific requirements, budget, and timeline for implementation before making any decisions. It may be a good idea to consult with a network expert to help you plan and design your network infrastructure.